lighting for nem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
I've just been reading cullyisgully's post regarding the bubble tip nem possibly dying due to poor light, in some of the replies people have advised to upgrade to mh or t5's. I have t5's over my tank, ( 3 white and 1 blue 54w), would I be abe to have a nem eventually then? Tank not quite a year old yet so won't be for a while though. If it is possible what would be the best nem to have under that lighting?

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
They make T5 HO Lighting for your size tank that would be enough :)

Depends on what kind of T5's you have.. Do they have seperate reflectors etc etc..

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
216watts / 46gals = ~4.7 watts per gallon

watts per gallon isnt the best way to measure, but, i have 96 watts over an 18 gal (5.3 wpg) and i wouldn't even try a nem.

so id say no.

double your wattage and its a go.

(id say MH's cause its REAL easy to find lile a 400w MH and such, opposed to like a fixture like yours w/ 2X the bulbs)

yopu have to take into account many different things other than type of light.

like tank depth

light intensity

water quality etc for a tank to "anemone ready"

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
They make T5 HO Lighting for your size tank that would be enough :)

Depends on what kind of T5's you have.. Do they have seperate reflectors etc etc..
I have an arcadia overtank luminaire there is one reflector for each pair of tubes

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
typically speaking, individual reflectors for EACH BULB is gonna give the bulbs enough concentration to penetrate into your tank at a high enough level for a anemone to happily go about photosynthesising all around your tank.

however, @ 216watts, even w/ individual reflectors, i dont think that youd still have enough oommmphh in a 46 gal for a nem.

i could be wrong, but, the amount of light needed for a anemone to benefit from photosynthesis, in my understanding, is up with clams and shallow water SPS.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i'd say size of tank is more a factor than lighting in your case (IMO). i say that from experience. i have a rbta in my tank under t5's without individual reflectors doing great. the tank is a 37g however and the nem is getting way big! you can see it in my post (then and now tank pic in reef forum) and the sucker just keeps getting bigger and bigger! i thought it would be ok but i am now thinking im going to have to upgrade just for my nem! it wouldn't be so bad if i didn't have to worry about it stinging my other corals but i do so... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store