Lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
I am in the process of setting up a 40b tank. Have been thinking about trying my first planted tank. Was thinking low tech, low lighting to start off. Java fern java moss anubias for start was the idea. I wanted to make sure this tank was covered, so I've got a versa top for it. Now that I thought about doing a planted tank I don't know about lighting options with the versa top. I have found aqueon and marineland basic double lamp fixtures that can sit right on the versa top that would probably provide enough for low light. But I also feel that if the fixture sat on the back half of the tank, the front wouldn't get enough lighting. Also I don't really trust these fixtures, after reading reviews, to last very long. But all of the t5ho etc fixtures sit on legs that don't look compatable with a versa top. Is this correct? any ideas?
Thanks!

xUnRaTeDxxRkOx

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
www.FaceBook.com
Real Name
Mike R.
Personally I had an Aqueon 48" T5 fixture for over a year with the same 6700k bulbs, so I like them because of their price. If I'm thinking correctly a versa aquarium top is nothing more than an aquarium glass canopy top, which is 2 pieces of glass connected to a piece of plastic.

Because Aqueon T5 fixtures have extendable metal legs on them you can extend the legs to each side of the tank, or you can just sit the fixture on top of the versa glass top. The Aqueon T5 double bulb fixtures are great for low tech planted tank, but you'll need to make sure you change out any of the T5 bulbs for 6700k bulbs.

Basically lighting is based off the Kelvin spectrum color scale, 6500k is equivalent to sunlight, anything below 6500k starts getting a red color spectrum, and anything above 6500k starts getting a blue spectrum color. So you want 6500k or 6700k T5NO (NO = normal output) for the Aqueon fixture, because T5HO (HO = high output) bulbs and fixture will put you into medium to high lighting.

The plants you mentioned will grow under low light conditions, but will be slow growth compared to that of medium - high lighting growth. Just remember to never bury the rhizomes of Anubias, and Java Ferns or they'll die off. Most people will attach anubias, and java ferns to driftwood using clear fishing line, or regular thread. Same goes for the Java Moss.....

Just remember that when and if you start getting into other plants that you'll need a good substrate for them, such ada aquasoil, seachem flourite, etc...... Plus either way you'll need to get a fertilizer supplement for any plants, most beginners go with Seachem's line of Flourish products like flourish comprehensive, flourish excel co2 supplement, etc.....

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've used the aqueon dual t5no with versatop, no problems, just have to take the versa off every couple weeks to clean it. The dual bulb T5NO fixture over a 40b will let you do low and medium light stuff. My Aqueon fixture is about 18 months old, never had any issues with it, came with a 6700k and colormax bulb, ditched the colormax in favor of a 10000k bulb.

Most of the fixtures on legs will work with the versa they dont cover the inside lip of the tank rim. But depending how many bulbs the fixture has it can be to powerful on a low tech setup causing algae.

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
Yeah you're correct, versa top is just a glass canopy. Your response is exactly what I needed. Thanks much. There's so many options out there it's overwhelming. I think I'm sold on that fixture and low light plants. But I've got time to keep looking. Thanks for the fertilizer suggestion too. Slow growth sounds great to me. I really just want the tank to look natural and not have to use fake plants...like my 10 and 20L in my room. This tank is going into the living room, so I want it to look nice, and have it be more natural for the fish. Thanks again unratedrko, and all others! Much appreciated.

Also I have seen people say t5NO's are not easy bulbs to get, but with a simple search getting them online, at first glance, seems pretty easy.

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The NO's are easy to find online, if you wanted to buy a bulb today you may have problems finding them in a LFS, though big box stores like petsmart/petco should have the basic 6700k bulbs since they sell the fixtures.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
For a 40B have you considered a 36" Fugeray from Finnex? I have two of their LED strips and they're pretty good, especially for the price -- which is very reasonable.

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
I hadn't really. I had only thought of a separate LED strip for the 'moonlight' at night. The fugeray is actually capable of low light plant growth huh? I've been concerned with the led for plant growth but I don't know much about it, all I really know is the very general guideline of watts/gallon. I'm open to anything and if that works I'd definitely consider it. It does need to be able to work sitting on top of the versa top, but I'm somewhat under the assumption LED's would be fine because of very minimal heat...and what have you.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I hadn't really. I had only thought of a separate LED strip for the 'moonlight' at night. The fugeray is actually capable of low light plant growth huh? I've been concerned with the led for plant growth but I don't know much about it, all I really know is the very general guideline of watts/gallon. I'm open to anything and if that works I'd definitely consider it. It does need to be able to work sitting on top of the versa top, but I'm somewhat under the assumption LED's would be fine because of very minimal heat...and what have you.

I have a Ray2 on my 40B and without CO2 it turned into an algae farm.. (I've since elevated the light 4" and added floating plants to cut the light) the Fugeray has moon lights and has nice low-medium light, probably closer to medium. I have a 24" Ray2 on my 20g and it's a total algae farm right now lol..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store