Liquid Acid/Alkaline buffer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
KH can refer to carbonate hardness exclusively in regards to CaCO3 and MgCO3 salts, but I believe that our test kits measure KH as total alkalinity. In that case, the source of CO3 (and other buffering agents) doesn't matter. I've seen it with my own eyes that softeners don't affect KH, so at least I tend to believe it...

I'm a bit confused about the 0 KH as well...unless the color is yellow right off the bat, you should have a more concrete number. I've noticed that the hobbyist grade GH/KH titration kits aren't very user friendly, especially if you don't have a keen sense of when the color actually changes. Could be user error ;)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
To what I said above...that is for the API KH kit. Which are you using, Ewest? I know Salifert has one, but I think it's more of a reefers brand.

For API, the instructions are to add the solution one drop at a time, stopping when it goes from blue to yellow. One drop = 1 dKH. It technically could be less than 1 dKH if you add one drop and see a change, but that seems rather unlikely for most source waters.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My tap is as follows if i remember right (GH and KH might be switched)
PH: 8-8.5
KH: 0
GH: 18

and i intend to keep domestic once i get there.
I just noticed this...I believe you have them switched. Low to non-existent GH and normal KH is indicative of "softened" water. My confusion stemmed from the fact that the API kits have a detection limit essentially of 1 dKH. You have to add at least one drop to see any sort of color change.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
lol yes that may explain things a bit, so does this affect how my water will resist PH changes?
Yes it will. Alkalinity (KH) is a measurement of how well your water will neutralize an acid, resisting a drop in ph. Mixing RO with tap will lower KH in the resulting water.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store