List of veggies for inverts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
It is actually in the sticky, its linked from the recipe page :)

edit: on second thought, i gave it its own little plug. lol

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Has anyone ever considered tofu? Tofu is a very good sources of protein and Calcium from my knowledge... Correct me if I'm wrong. I assume tofu goes under the veggie category because its made from Soy beans. Firm tofu probably wouldn't break up or cause a mess in the water.

Tofu Nutritional Facts: (100g serving) (prepared without Calcium Sulfate and with, respectively)
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

175 to 201mg of Calcium depending if Calcium Sulfate is included in the making of the tofu. I've also found some other non-government sources which claims Calcium as high as 300mg per 100g serving. It does contain trace amounts of cooper though, .191 and .213mg respectively. Do you think these amounts of Cooper can be enough to poison inverts, snails and/or shrimps? Hikari Shrimp Cuisine uses trace amounts of Cooper to help in blood regeneration.

Also if the amount of Cooper is an issue, has anyone considered plain Soy beans? Some people boil/nuke de-shelled peas so I'm assuming the process can be done with Soy beans too.

Apparently to the Soy bean Wiki page, it lists the Calcium content as 277mg per 100g serving with no Cooper at all. The Wiki source is the same government source used above for the nutritional facts on tofu.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Is there a list of vegies to AVOID giving inverts. This is great for Calcium lists... I'll certainly take note- but anything to avoid? Or is it pretty much- if we can eat it, they can eat it.

I assume extra thorough washing is a must due to pesticides.

What about GM fruit and veggies- they're often altered to be safe for us- but toxic to "pests". Anyone had a problem with them?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Not only does phosphorus adversely affect water quality, but also blocks the absorption of calcium, as does oxalic acid, or calcium oxalate. You can feed calcium rich foods all day long, but if the Ca:p ratio is higher than 2:1 or if there is a high concentration of oxalates, it won't do you any good.

One of the best sources of calcium I have found for invertebrates is to tie a piece of cuttle bone to a weight and sink it in the tank. They will eat it when their bodies tell them that they need it. It is pretty fool proof.

Kristina

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Is there a list of vegies to AVOID giving inverts. This is great for Calcium lists... I'll certainly take note- but anything to avoid? Or is it pretty much- if we can eat it, they can eat it.

I assume extra thorough washing is a must due to pesticides.

What about GM fruit and veggies- they're often altered to be safe for us- but toxic to "pests". Anyone had a problem with them?
Many things that are toxic to us are not safe for inverts or other animals, and vice versa. I could name a lot of things that are not the best choice, such as spinach or romaine lettuce, or alfalfa sprouts, but there is no master list of bad things as far as I know. I have a lot of nutritional info on my website, and though it is geared towards tortoises, most of the information holds true for other herps and inverts.

Personally I do not feed anything that is not organically grown. No sense in taking chances.

Kristina

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Is there a recommended dose of how many mg to feed to inverts? I have heard of people feeding un-flavored tums but what about pure calcium daily vitamin supplements? I found some 500mg per pill vitamins that I could use or is that too much?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
That is fine, just be forewarned they dissolve pretty quickly and leave a nasty residue. This is why I prefer to use reptile powders in a homemade food for them. Cuttlebone works, but the shrimp and snails are not as adept at grazing on it.

arcanecircle

AC Members
Apr 18, 2009
santa cruz CA
the list here is save for all invert? who knew dill is great for the fish and invert as well as good to season them with

Jane of Upton

AC Members
Dec 23, 2005
Upton, MA
That's interesting about the cuttlebone. I've been doing something similar, and the snails (and sometimes even the shrimp) seem to graze on it readily - cooked salmon vertebrae.

Instead of using tuna for tunafish salad, I'll use some canned salmon. There's always a few vertebrae in each can, and if you get the low/no sodium, packed in water stuff, there's no other ingredients. Because they've been canned (cooked) and packed in liquid for awhile, they're surprisingly soft. I toss a few vertebrae in the tank, and freeze any I have left for later. Any residual meat gets picked off by the fish or shrimp, and over the next day or two, the snails really have at it. It doesn't leave any mess, and it seems like its soft enough for them to rasp on pretty easily.

This is a great list - thank you for posting it! I've noticed individual preferences among my Brigs. If I put some zuchini in, they'll mosey over, but if I put some blanched organic broccoli in... the smaller one will scoot right over!

I'll have to try some of the herbs - that makes perfect sense that many are very high in calcium.

Thanks,
Jane

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store