list the fastest and slowest growing commonly kept fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
I have a tiger loach that is a little piggy & is growing really fast! Does anyone know how big they get?? I am figuring 10 inches??

Tiger barbs grow fast too!

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
I have a chinese algae eater that has grown from about 3/4 of an inch and was practically starved when I got it to about 3 1/2 inches in 9 months. My red tailed black shark was about an inch when I got it and is now about 4 inches after one year. As far as native fish in aquariums, a lot of the fish that would be considered attractive enough to keep are game fish, and they are illegal to keep as pets in a lot of states. Here in Virginia, you can go to a trout farm, they're all over the place here in the mountains, and buy trout to take home to eat, but if you put them in an aquarium it would be illegal. I guess there MIGHT be a loop hole where you could say you were keeping them in the aquarium before you ate them, but I don't know.

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Originally posted by Hans
why dont places sell native american fish? are they too ugly?
Some native fish are illegal to sell (so I've been told by the LFS).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The collection, transportation, and keeping of native fish is governed by the states. So, a lot will depend on their management objectives and practices. In some states, it requires extensive documentation and permits, in others, it's a matter of obeying the creel limits and fishing regulations.

One other problem with keeping many native is that they often will require a chiller to thrive, and the game fish typically will outgrow the common tank sizes.

For fast growth...Hmmm....For critters, my vote goes to apple snails. Not sure on fish. My raibows got big quick, but then leveled out a bit smaller than full adult size...

dwf73

Gold Dragon
Oct 29, 2003
brooklyn, NY
Visit site
oriongirl- Would you happen to know of any websites that give an overview of the different state regulations? I would like to look at that if it is out there- It is a bit tedious checking 49 different web pages :)

*49 because im leaving out alaska, of which I have no possibility of ever moving to (no offense to anyone)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't think there is a site that compiles the regulations. I know some private organizations have a list for thier use (ie, commercial hatcheries in Florida have a list so they know if they can fill a customers order). You might want to contact Cabella's and see if they could make it available.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
NANFA is great, but they do not communicate with the DNR/G&F for all states. They advise you to contact your local people. They do have links to each state agency.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store