Little guy with dropsy- euthanize?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Should I euthanize or treat him?

• Euthanize

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Treat

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Chris, I think it's time to let him go. I'm truly sorry, but he's not going to make it. He's lingering and I think his condition is intolerable for him.

Bless your heart, I'm so sorry that he's so sick. I know you love him and wish he could live, but if you can... help him go to sleep.

Do you have any clove oil? I think that is the least stressful and most gentle method, but there are other methods.

It's your decision, but I think he's suffering and will not get better. I think he will die sometime during the night or early morning, and the moments and hours won't be kind.

Let me know if I can help. I'm so sorry.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Here are some pics as promised...the little guy was lying motionless, but moved his fins a little when he saw me. He seems so sickly and weak.

He just sank to the bottom of the tank moments ago. Listless, pale, weak, barely moving...

Here are some pics of when he was floating almost on his side, kept on trying to right himself with his pectoral fins:

Pics aren't showing up, sorry

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Yep, I agree with you, Mel. Unfortunately, I do not have any clove oil on hand, so if he does make the night, but with little sign of improvement, I will try and euthanize him as quickly and painlessly as possible.
If he makes the night and he does seem to be miraculously improving I will try and continue the treatment, but as everyone has stated, (and I agree), I do not think that he has much of a chance of survival.
I'm gonna miss the little bugger. :(

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
It takes courage to help him be at peace. You can do this for him, Chris, I know you can. Pm me if you need help, but I can't watch anymore, OK?

I'm not meaning to sound uncaring, I do care... too much, in fact, but I can't continue to hear how bad things are for him if you aren't going to end it for him.

Please know my thoughts are with you, and I'm so truly sorry for you and for him.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
If you don't have clove oil you can use the frozen water method. A large bowl in the freezer, the surface of the water frozen. You break a hole in it large enough for him to drop cleanly into, and this shocks him and stops his heart, usually within seconds.

You've been a good fish keeper for this little guy, Chris, and he had a good home. You've tried very hard to help him get well; you did your best and you are to be commended for all you've done for the little guy. He was fortunate to have his home there with you.

Whatever you decide about euthanasia, I would like to say again how very sorry I am for your loss.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Euthanized him an hour ago...could not bear to see him in pain...sorry I did not see your posts, Mel.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
You've done a very kind and courageous thing, Chris, for your little guy. I'm so sorry for your sad loss.

You've a great fishkeeper. Your little fish are fortunate to have you as their caretaker. You work hard to keep them healthy and happy, and when it's time to make the tough decision, you come through. Good on you.

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
I have only saved one fish from this, and treated many. Most people say to flush and sterilize - http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm The one fished I was able to save only lived 3 more months. Prepare yourself for the worst. Bleach everything

I have used Aquarium Phamaceuticals - Tetracycline. It turns the water yellow. You need to have your fish in a tank with no filter, bubbles only and heat at 80-85 degrees. Change the water every day and treat again until your fish looks well again. A little aquarium salt helps as well. No plants! Even they will become contaminated.

Best of luck to you.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
I have only saved one fish from this, and treated many. Most people say to flush and sterilize - http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm The one fished I was able to save only lived 3 more months. Prepare yourself for the worst. Bleach everything

I have used Aquarium Phamaceuticals - Tetracycline. It turns the water yellow. You need to have your fish in a tank with no filter, bubbles only and heat at 80-85 degrees. Change the water every day and treat again until your fish looks well again. A little aquarium salt helps as well. No plants! Even they will become contaminated.

Best of luck to you.
why no filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store