Living with iCH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That's true for many tanks, though it is possible to get rid of it completely with ample quarantine measures. I don't know how many actually go through all of the proper procedures, though (I don't, admittedly).

FWIW, flow rate isn't a deciding factor, as the parasites have more than enough capability to latch on. When I worked at an LFS, we had ~100x turnover and fish still got ich. On the other hand, it may indirectly help against it by oxygenating/exchanging CO2 and minimizing the associated stress.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My Potters Angel gets ich 2-3x a year... last month was one of the worst bouts I have seen on it, but I just upped the VitaChem and Garlic Guard dosing with the food and once again it went away within a week. I have lived with it as long as I had a SW tank (14 years) since I never went through the proper QT procedures.. and I have never lost a fish to Ich. I just think of it as the common cold for humans.. something that just happens from time to time and just give them a little "chicken soup" so to speak and the fish get better.. as long as you act immediately. I don't stress out the fish by trying to catch them or medicate the tank with any magic bottle of Ich removal meds.. just extra dose of vitamins and garlic is my only secret to keeping Ich at bay.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
My Potters Angel gets ich 2-3x a year... last month was one of the worst bouts I have seen on it, but I just upped the VitaChem and Garlic Guard dosing with the food and once again it went away within a week. I have lived with it as long as I had a SW tank (14 years) since I never went through the proper QT procedures.. and I have never lost a fish to Ich. I just think of it as the common cold for humans.. something that just happens from time to time and just give them a little "chicken soup" so to speak and the fish get better.. as long as you act immediately. I don't stress out the fish by trying to catch them or medicate the tank with any magic bottle of Ich removal meds.. just extra dose of vitamins and garlic is my only secret to keeping Ich at bay.
14 years? Jeesus...I didn't realize you been in this for that long....

I was told running UV Sterilizers help a whole lot in keeping fish pretty healthy....Do you think there is a lot to this Ace?

I'm starting to get into fish over sps now...getting bored of looking at a tank with no movement in it.... So I started stocking some reef safe fish to add more to look at.

Since I am not experienced with the fish end I am very worried I will have to deal with these upcoming issues. Parasites and bacteria problems....I hope not....

So would investing in my UV help keep the "common cold" at bay?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Nope, UV from my personal experience does nothing to help ich erradication. QT/Medication is by far the best method to avoid Ich from getting into your display tank.. but some fish, for me the Leopard Wrasses, you can't QT so it is just one of those risks.. but those fish are not known to be ones that carry ich nearly as much as others like Angels and Tangs. Leopard Wrasses have their own problems though, worms/parasites they have in nature is their "ich" and what usually dooms new Leopards in the home aquaria.

CompulsiveAqua

CompulsiveAqua
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveland
UV does work, it increases the REDOX level...basically a fishes immune system, but you don't need to do that...it's ....oh nvermind youv'e been in saltwater for 14 years, i know.....I know nothing

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Now that I think back upon it, it has been years since I have seen ICK in my tanks; I would attribute that to UV, and 1/2 watt or greater per gallon. At that wattage, flow rate is really a moot factor, if the UV doesn't get 'em the first time through, no big deal, it will the 2nd, 3rd, etc.

If I remember correctly, the ICK parasite does detach from the fish, at some point, and there is a "free swimming" stage--at that stage UV is DEADLY! Break the life-cycle, break the infection ...

Regards,
TA

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
You caused me to look a bit ...

Does anyone just live with the ich in their tank....I do...ask more and I''ll tell you why?
I am glad you started this thread; I took this:
"** THE TOMITE STAGE IS THE ONLY STAGE WHICH IS SENSITIVE TO MEDICATION!"" (I don't know about that, but, perhaps, anything which will kill the ICK at any of its' other stage will also kill the fish! I can believe that, easily.)

from here: http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/ich.html

The "Tomite stage", this person speaks of, is the free swimming stage; I think everyone can see, or envision, how UV is deadly to ICK at this stage of its' life-cycle. This stage lasts for 3 days; with excess UV, the ICK doesn't even stand a chance--in both, my humble opinion and experience.

Regards,
TA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store