Long hair lesson

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

illiswiller

Prevention - the best medicine!
Jan 11, 2005
Anybody else with long hair & impeller problems? :D
I just learned a serious lesson in tank maintainence! I have little longer than shoulder length blonde hair that is hard to see in the water - but I realize that sometimes it falls into the tank during cleaning or is on my hands or arms (b/c I find it stuck to the bottom of the filter intake (wrapped on the basket) Anyways, I ususally clean out my Penguin 125 filter and rinse the impeller and wheel every couple months. But I dont' take it apart in little pieces....

So suddenly yesterday I smell a burning motor and realize it's coming from the 10 gallon QT tank - the filter stopped! I couldn't figure out what the heck the problem was....

I can't see anything wrong after rinsing and cleaning - but low and behold UNDER the little blue impeller wheel were a couple strings of hair wrapped tight - It took forever to get them out w/ a tweezer. I have no idea how long it was stopped and burning up....I'm just lucky it didn't break!
Lesson learned - look UNDER the wheels and rotating parts if you (or your partner) have long hair! (and check your carpet vaccumm too!)
:eek:

Last edited:

vtmechie

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the tip. I have long hair too, but I never thought about it getting caught in the impeller. Long hair can be bad for vacuum cleaners too :)

MamaBarb

Still crazy after all these years
Oct 17, 2003
Southwest Ranches, FL
Visit site
AMEN! :bowing:

I have lite brown hair down to the middle of my back - and bcuz I have "natural" gravel substrate, strands of my hair are also hard to see. I used to have to clean it off the bio wheels as well as the impellers, until I got smart and started putting my hair up in a pony anytime I needed to open the lids on the tank.

BTW - I also burned up 3 belts for the beater brush on my vacuum cleaner - until I wised up and started cleaning the brush every time I use the vacuum!

Dragon Queen

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Does that apply to cannisters as well?
illiswiller do you have a sponge on your intake?
My parents had a Kirby, but they had to keep rebuilding the motor because of me when I was still at home.

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Jus got my hair cut.

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
The hair on my head is 1/2"... will this be a problem? :D Of course my back hair might be of concern since it is 15" long. :p

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
I have seen my hair in my impellers on my 2 penguin 125 filters but I never had a problem with them interfearing with the operation of the filter, but it is best to clean it though.

illiswiller

Prevention - the best medicine!
Jan 11, 2005
Hi Dragon Queen - I'm not sure if it would affect canisters or not....but I would guess so - I'll surely check my canister in the future just in case. ;) Maybe someone w/ mechanical engineering can tell us?

As for a sponge on the intake - I'm not sure how to do this w/ a penguin - off the top of my head I can't think of a way to add a sponge to the intake before the impeller without impeding flow?? It'd be a good precaution though - Ideas Anybody?

MamaBarb - I'm going to check my biowheel - jeeze hadn't thought of that one either! YIKES

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store