Long Horn Cow Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I'd say it's definately unsuitable for your tank and not just because your tank is too small for him and some of your other fish. The other tankmates are pretty aggressive fish when it comes to eating and if your clown is anything like other GSM clowns they can be pretty aggressive. You are aware that if bullied, stressed or ill, that your cowfish will exude a toxin that could wipe out your whole tank including the cowfish?

My scentaments entirely. I just dont think that this fish is suited overall for your aquarium. I base this on the size that the fish can be and the potential damage caused from the toxin in a small environment.

The toxin will only be released as a final measure of defense. If your cowfish survived the shipping he will most likely survive until you get him a tank of his own. These fish arent as docile as one thinks. Sometimes they will sow there colors. But anyways your fish will get up to 18 inches big requiring a 100+ gallon tank. To get rid of the ostracitoxin quickly put carbon in your filters and do a big water change and the toxin will dissapear pretty quickly. Please post a pic of your tank so i/we can see how many hiding places you have.

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Your tank is really overstockedd, more or less a ticking time bomb as well.

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I've had a long horned cow fish in my tank for over a year without a problem. It's the personality fish of the bunch, and will eat from my hand. It never has any problem getting food at feeding time - it's just as assertive as its tankmates.

I love the comments about it when people see my tank and the cowfish for the first time - usually "what the h#$% is that?!" :grinyes:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Did anyone notice he has a boxfish in there too? You have a HUGE tank in your very near future--many potentially large fish in there.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ya...I've seen them in big aquariums (1000+ gallons) and they do get pretty enormous. I don't know how long it takes, but it happens!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store