Looking for a centerpiece fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a centerpiece fish for my 20 gallon tank. Recently my betta fish died and now my tank looks somewhat empty. Right now I have 2 small mollies, and 1 albino cory catfish. The tank has been setup for a little over 2 years so it's an established tank. What would be a good centerpiece for a 20 gallon tank?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Some kind of gourami? A killi? A pair of Florida flagfish?

As an aside, you probably want to get more cories. They behave differently in larger groups, and are social animals.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
With that stock I'd say some kind of Dwarf Gouramis, or perhaps a Killifish. I also suggest increases the cory school.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
With that stock I'd say some kind of Dwarf Gouramis, or perhaps a Killifish. I also suggest increases the cory school.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I think a couple honeys or a dwarf would look nice. Not very knowledgeable on which killifish to try, but also an option as mentioned.

A pair of apistos or rams may work, but I'd focus on increasing that cory school first. Might not be enough space along the bottom for both.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Would a school of 3 corys be enough or should I get more? I did start out with 3 but 2 of them died a few months back and I just never got around to replacing them. Anything else other than dwarf gouramis? Not that I don't like dwarf Gourami's but i've kept them before and i'd like to keep something different.
I've never kept killifish before. The only killiefish my pet store has ever gotten in was the golden wonder killiefish. I'd like a fish that would swim about mid level. If you think a dwarf gourami is the better choice maybe the honey gourami.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
would a brichardi cichlid (Neolamprologus brichardi) do alright in a 20 gallon? I'm not a big fan of the golden wonder killifish. They mainly stay at the top of the tank right? I'd like something that would swim mid level or all over the tank. How many honey gourami's would do well in a 20 gallon?

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Good luck to any fish that tries to live with a pair of brichardi in a 20g. They can take over 55g tanks so a 20g would be no problem. You could fit a pair in, but it would be a bit cramped, especially when they start breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store