Looking for a tankmate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
i agree with mostlycichlids but if you really need some action i would go in another route like maybe a trio of praecox rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox) they will tend to the upper level and they dont get that big i believe they stay around the 2inch mark, good luck..

shmagu

AC Members
Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
What about Haplochromis obliquidens (Thick Skin; Red Tail)? I believe I have seen these at PetSmart, but would try a couple local shops first.

Or maybe Paracyprichromis nigripinnis (Blue Neon Cichlid)? This would be my first choice and would have to look at the local shops and possibly have them ordered.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
the nigripinnis would need a flight attendent they are well known jumpers plus they get a good size on them about 4 inches and they need company in the form of 5 to 6 if not will be a timid ready to jump fin, they also are a timid fish by nature most aquarist kill them with water changes, the obliq would more than likely beat your juli's up but if you want to try it i guess go ahead and see what happens i would add a trio of neolamp multifasciatus or a trio of neolamp brevis add some shells and that would be sweet but its your call my friend..

shmagu

AC Members
Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
the nigripinnis would need a flight attendent they are well known jumpers plus they get a good size on them about 4 inches and they need company in the form of 5 to 6 if not will be a timid ready to jump fin, they also are a timid fish by nature most aquarist kill them with water changes, the obliq would more than likely beat your juli's up but if you want to try it i guess go ahead and see what happens i would add a trio of neolamp multifasciatus or a trio of neolamp brevis add some shells and that would be sweet but its your call my friend..
I've thought about that as well and will probably go that route. What kind/size of shells would you recommend or does it matter too much?

Also, would the synodontis bother the shellies too much? Should I move the transcriptus' rockwork closer to the syno cave and use the other end for the shellies or would the shellies be ok along the front length of the tank?

I'll try and get a picture of the tank on here later tonight or in the morning.

Last edited:

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool i mean you really dont have alot to work with and i know you know that aye, but coolness for sure, i use escargot shells and some marine shells, if the syno is well fed you shouldnt really have too much of a problem but if you get tiny multi's or brevis even the juli's would snack on them, i agree with what you said about moving the rock work around so that one end is for the shellies and the juli's and the syno are at the other end maybe a divided line in the middle with rock work.. cool a photo would be sweet buddy, later..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
i dont know about that syno man, i would def get a bigger multi maybe even an adult he may make them a KFC snacker, you know what i would do a lelupi you may have a fight or two but with those rocks, which BTW were did you get those at, would provide a retreat for whoever is going to get punked, if you do go with the shellies i would add about 4 shells per fish ratio..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store