Looking for Compatible Tank Mates for Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I agree with vwill. No new additions until you move all of those fish out into the pond. Goldfish grow very rapidly when they have room to move and grow. I have 2 Shubs that i got at about 1.5-2" about 4 months ago and both are right about 4" now. Also, with your current bio-load you should be doing almost daily water changes seeing as goldfish are very dirty fishies. I know you said you had high metal levels in your water, so I would suggest boiling a couple gallons at a time and putting them into a rubbermaid container or something like that to cool down over a few days and allow any other chemicals to evaporate out of the water, then use that for the w.c's. The other option would be to go out and buy like 6-7 one gallon containers of purified water (something like Deer Park or the store brand) at a time and leave it out to get to room temperature and use that to do your water changes. My guess is the boiling and rubbermaid would be your cheaper option.

oddjobdobson

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2014
a very cool pond/goldfish compatible fish is the rainbow dace or blue dace which tolerate the same winter temps as goldfish/koi in a good pond, if you dig the pond deeper you have a better chance of them overwintering, go as deep as you can

Last edited:

oddjobdobson

Registered Member
Jan 7, 2014
Bluegill?

Bluegill are cool too, another cold water fish, I don't know about compatibility though, I've never had bluegill in a tank but I found some babies in an old boat that didn't have a plug in the back sitting in shallow water, they look awesome

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store