Looking to buy a new laptop, ACER likes & dislikes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
As the title says I am looking to purchase a new laptop. I really love HP but have had SO many problems with my dv6000 that I am a bit leery of them now. I have been looking at ACER, does anyone have an ACER laptop and if so how has it performed and how is the tech service?

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I think they are great laptops.

The best laptops are Toshiba and Asus and acer so far. I have had great experience with acer laptops they work really well and are really cheep.

The worse company is HP. Not only do they get horrible reviews the few i have had gave me tons of problems and most of my friends that have had one have also had tons of problems.

I like Acer's a lot they are a company that used to build all the laptop parts for other companies but then just decided to put out their own laptop instead of selling their parts to other companies. That is why they usually have great low prices.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Do you have Dell in America? I find their laptops great! They have great deals and excellent customer service here in australia :)

Red_Terror

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
Try lenovo. I've had my T61p for over 3 years now with 0 problem (knock on wood). Best bang for the buck IMO. I could run programs like CAD and play games with no problem.

Adroit

AC Members
Apr 3, 2008
Have you check if your laptop was part of the class action lawsuit against Nvidia?

Check out nvidiasettlement.com

I had an Hp laptop with a bad nvidia chip,which would overheat and screw up the motherboard. Long story short, Nvidia got sued and lost, so if you have an Hp laptop that qualifies, then you might get a replacement soon.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I have an Alienware m11x which I use for gaming and pushing video to my TV through HDMI. I love it. It has amazing battery life and is very small and easy to travel with. I also have a huge Gateway gaming laptop that overheats quickly (may have to look at that nvidia settlement) but it is also a very nice laptop. As far as tech support goes....I never use it. I'm pretty computer savvy and the one time I called Dell it was outsourced to india...which sucks

Last edited by a moderator:

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Petluvr, you get what you pay for in this world. Acer is a very low cost computer for a reason. If all you need is internet access then it is a good unit. If, however, you need to do any work on it then you might want to consider going with a different brand.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I forgot to mention in previous post. Whatever computer you get, don't get less than 4 gb ram. The only mistake I made with my Toshiba is 2gigs of ram. It runs pretty slow. 2GB is barely enough to run vista. Your new one will have Windows 7 on it. 4GB min on ram and you will be good.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
We bought an Acer Aspire 5532 this past February, and LOVE it. :) We had ONE issue with it - short term memory crapped out - but we sent it off to Acer, and had it back good as new within a week. It was covered under warranty (we didn't buy the extended warranty, this was just the one that came with the computer). We haven't had any other issues with it, and it works just fine. I use it for hours every day for school work (and surfing the web on AC and all that when I'm bored of homework... LOL). I'm perfectly pleased with it. I have two siblings that both got HP laptops a few years back, and both had many problems with them. My brother's crapped out altogether after about 2 years, and he's now got a Mac. My sister's has been repaired multiple times, and still has problems. I steered clear of the HP when we were hunting. Anyhow, I recommend Acer. :) I like the computer. It works well. It has a nice keyboard (w/ a number pad, which was important to me). It's easy to use, and I'm very pleased with it.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Petluvr, you get what you pay for in this world. Acer is a very low cost computer for a reason. If all you need is internet access then it is a good unit. If, however, you need to do any work on it then you might want to consider going with a different brand.
I also live by this mantra which is why I decided to ask.
Thanks for all the reviews guys keep them coming as I still have not made a decision. I use my computer basically for school work and simple web surfing, but it needs to be VERY reliable and unfortunately my HP is becoming less reliable as time goes by.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store