Looking to get in shape with Wii, advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Hey all, I bought a Wii last spring hoping to get a good fitness game from hubby as my anniversary present. Well, he didn't get the hint (ok, he ignored my direct "I want the Wii Fit game for my present.")

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and thinking about what to get, but I'm torn. I *think* that my best 2 options are the Wii Fit Plus w/balance board OR Your Shape with Jenny McCarthy. I'm not sure which is the better option for me.

Basics: I'm looking to both lose weight and get into shape, but I'm notorious for starting something and quickly losing interest, especially when it involves exercise. I have pretty severe asthma, and it's been particularly bad the last year. So, I need something that I can tone down the intensity on bad days while still getting a good workout or turn up when I'm feeling good.

Also, it must be fun. Plain old exercise games like EA Active or Gold's Cardio Workout just look like great workout games, but they look pretty boring.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Fit Plus, but I'm worried that it might be fun but not a good workout. Plus, Your Shape has the webcam that tracks your movements so that you have to do the exercise properly whereas the Fit Plus can be tricked, or so I've heard.

Anyone have experiences with these two, recommendations?

hollyfish2000

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
I just bought my Wii this weekend -- also with the intent to get in shape. I bought the Wii Fit Plus with it (it includes the balance board.) It is quite fun. And it tracks calories and weights you and tracks your BMI and a variety of other things, all of which I think is good. There are a variety of options, including cardio, balance, etc. So far I have not actually figured out how to produce a tailored exercise routine by piecing together various things, but apparently you can do that. I find many of the exercises very difficult and the balance board not always very accurate (I keep missing the balls during the soccerball exercise and getting hit in the head with flying shoes!) I think it's fun, but I'm not sure it's a very high-powered exercise program. So I just went out and got the Jenny McCarthy Your Shape. It appears to actually be more work and the Webcam keeps you from doing exercises incorrectly. (I need that feedback as I want to focus on core/Yoga, etc., type stuff). But I haven't used it yet, so I can't give you a complete comparison. The Wii Fit Plus is fun. The Jenny McCarthy is probably a better workout, though . . .

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
:iagree: We as a family got The Wii Fit Plus As our joint Christmas present from Santa.
It's main benefit is it keeps you coming back for another go, you just need to beat the previous score or that of your kins.
I love it and incorporating the Yoga and balance side as well as the games gives a novice trainer and apprentice fat man far more, than just sitting on my ... bottom.

If the measuring system is at all close to accurate then I'm slowly improving, which as said, is better than the way i was going.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I heard the EA Sports Active or whatever its called was cheaper and a better choice.

Lol said this after reading you called it boring :S.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Hehe, well, I really can't tell if it would be boring or not since I've never gotten to try it. I'm leaning towards the Fit Plus right now since it sounds like it's a good step towards getting active while being fun. So, I might "graduate" to more exercise-intense games later on, but I think this looks like a good place to start, get me in a habit of exercising.

Feel free to chime in on any of the games, I'm still open to suggestion. I'm going to stop at the store tonight to see if I can get a feel for the games, what they look like, etc.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The Wii can definitely be fun, and so can Wii Fit. However, I wouldn't depend on it to necessarily get you in shape. Maybe as an addition to a normal workout schedule, etc., as I don't really consider it to be a replacement of any sort. That's JMO, but I'm not a personal trainer, nutritionist, or anything of that sort, so take it at face value.

I say save your Wii for playing, though.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
I *adore* my Wii Fit Plus! It is a great motivator, super-duper cute, and fun. I love playing the balance games, but the yoga exercises are great, too. The customizable workouts are a nice way to start my day, and the "random" workouts vary each time, so you don't get bored. I am completely enamored with the Rhythm Boxing. As Amphiprion said, a Wii isn't a replacement for a more serious health program, but can be an awesome way to start or as an addition to whatever else you've got going on. :)

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I have the Wii Fit (original) and balance board, but I rarely use it anymore. It's fun, yes. but I don't feel like it gives much of a workout. I get a much better workout taking the dogs for a walk every afternoon. We do still use the Wii Fit on occasion, but since the original one can only be used by one person at a time, it kind of defeated the purpose of motivating both myself and my honey to play together on it.

I think (think) the Wii Fit Plus may have some multiple-player games, and in that case, it may well be more motivating and more interesting. We got a Jillian Michaels Wii game for Christmas, which is multi-player, but so far the things we've tried have been rather ridiculous... I'm not a big fan of the Jillian Michaels one - although I *love* Jillian! :)

Just my two cents. ;)

Fun - yes. Great workout - not so much. There just isn't enough movement to get your heartrate up. For what it is though -yoga, balance, etc - those are worthwhile additions to a regular cardio workout.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah, I know that I can get a better workout using other means, but I want something to get me started with a routine/habit of working out that's fun and keeps me on track, especially in these frigid winter months!

I guess I've made up my mind to get the Wii Fit Plus and then "graduate" to Your Shape once I get into the rhythm. I think that would be a good stepping stone to a real workout routine without burning out on the boring exercise aspect. I've tried using some workout videos, but they were so cheezy that I couldn't stand them or started out too intense for my asthmatic lungs to handle for even 5 minutes. I've heard of this ballet-inspired workout tape that is a less cheezy and still gives you a good burn (I think in Shape magazine, not sure) without being too intense. I might try that too. I just really need to get my butt in gear and start something.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I will say that my all-time favorite workout videos are the ones by Leslie Sansone - the walk away the pounds videos. There are a lot of different levels of workouts offered, and they are good for just about anyone - in shape or not.

If you decide to try them, odds are your library might have them so you can try for free. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store