Lost 15 fish in past two weeks, AUGH!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
never change the filter. there is your problem, you threw out the good bacteria!! you never throw them out, you clean them in the bucket of water and use them until there totally clogged. then you put a new one in and use the old one for a week or so to seed the new one.( stuff it in with the new one ) you also needed to do water changes and gravel cleaning every week. new babies means new over load. your tanks messed up because of improper care. I say do water changes right away and test . your tank is re cycling because you threw out the filter. also the gravel needs to be cleaned every week along with water changes. you need a new tank, small and cycled to put the babies in so they do not get sucked up while you clean.amonia is from not cleaning ( water changes and gravel vacs) so just do water changes, keep doing it until your tests say your fine. :)

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I change it twice in that amount of time thinking I had an ammonia problem. Hubby said something about the charcoal being used up. Would it help if I went ahead and changed the water again before I get it checked. I live about an hour from the nearest place that can check it.
charcoal is not really helpful unless you want to take out meds etc. I never use any. Amonia is from fish over load and not taking out water and cleaning gravel.
yes, do a water change, 50 % and then go get it tested. come back and let us know what the readings are. then we can help you to see if you need more water changes.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Don't clean your filters. This is where the beneficial bacteria that converts ammmonia (fish waste) is found. If your flow rate decreases you simply take your sponge dip it in tank water that has just been removed form a water change and swoosh or squueze it to remove the larger particles. Most likely when you added the other fish it caused a mini cycle (not enough bacteria to convert the new larger amount of fish waste).

Dily

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Thanks to everyone for the spanking I needed. It's my fault my fishies died. We can not get lazy about cleaning our tanks.

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
Are you only doing water changes every 2 months. If you are only doin water changes every 2 to 3 months maybe there is a big difference between the old tank water and new water parameters. This can shock the fishes system.

slink

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
I don't know what kind of filter you have but chances are you cant just wash the filter media off itself and then you're done. If you're using a bio-wheel type then you can do yourself a favor and just buy a few extra filters for the year which should cost you max $20. When you need to change, every other month perhaps, float the old filter in the tank for a day or so. It will fill with the good bacteria like people are talking about.

Next, invest in buying a test kit online. Without one you're stuck completely like you are when something seems wrong. Test your water at least once every few weeks minimum (I do it usually once a week) and also with that many fish you'll need to do more water changes, as people have said. With smaller numbers of fish and large water amounts you can get away with less changes. Good luck.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Water changes and gravel vacs every 2-3 months....?

Changing out the filters.

Amazing...it is a wonder things have been stable for this long. No test kit. For shame.

Wouldn't surprise me if you have some issues of OTS and large water changes now will be more detrimental.

Granny is completely off base about the charcoal/carbon, but that is off topic.

Wish you luck. Small frequent water changes and seek advice on how to maintain a tank more properly.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Water changes and gravel vacs every 2-3 months....?

Changing out the filters.

Amazing...it is a wonder things have been stable for this long. No test kit. For shame.

Wouldn't surprise me if you have some issues of OTS and large water changes now will be more detrimental.

Granny is completely off base about the charcoal/carbon, but that is off topic.

Wish you luck. Small frequent water changes and seek advice on how to maintain a tank more properly.
How so?? I never use it,well acually it is already in the bags I buy for my HOPB;s I was told it was used for clarifying the water or taking out meds. it also only worked a few days.
I also read this on line so thats why I feel it was not necessary. I have also seen several here that say do not bother with it.

The deal about Charcoal is it is a widely debated subject as you know. I feel that in planted aquariums it isn't necessary because the plants themselves are doing a major filtering job themselves at taking out pollutants and purifying the water. However, well-planted tanks are the most effective. If you only have a few plants in your tank and a lot of fish, some carbon filtration would be good.

Charcoal doesn't have to used in non-planted tanks either. As long as you keep up with massive water changes and are careful with feedings then charcoal is not needed in your filter. Water changes are the best thing you can do for your fish anyway. No filtration or chemicals can replace water changes. I almost never mess with Charcoal myself because I do water changes very frequently.

I think the best time to use carbon in your tank is if there is a sudden pollution problem like an ammonia spike or in water that hasn't been changed in a long time. And of course after having to medicate a tank. In planted tanks, charcoal has been known to take out nutrients and minerals that plants may really need.

But otherwise, I don't mess with Charcoal much at all.

Last edited:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
without a test kit you're guessing, but when you confirm water changes and gravel vacs are happening only every 2 - 3 months; I would say that is pretty accurately summed up as old tank syndrome, and more frequent water changes themselves will shock your fish, who have become used to the high nitrates and other dissolved organic compounds.

you should get a good liquid drop test kit, test for Nitrates, if over 80 ppm do a 10% water change every day until you get it below 40 ppm and then do a large change to get it below 20 ppm; try and maintain it at that, testing as necessary to see how many changes you need to do/how much you need to change.

on the off topic charcoal, I understand that use of charcoal depends how and what you use it for, and whether you do this correctly, but this is not your issue.

taking out your filters or filter media adds a new problem, because by doing this you are removing a lot of the beneficial bacteria that process ammonia into nitrate...only ever rinse your media in old tank water to clean, unless you are starting from scratch following some awful disease issue which can not be resolved in any other way.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Water changes and the use of charcoal/carbon are two different issues.

You never use it but don't recommend it...funny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store