lost 8 fish in the past 3 weeks, help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Could also be bacterial. This is the time of year to QT new fish, because temps are up, and could have gone up during the time the fish was shipped. A new fish added to the tank could have flex.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
thanks for your help guys.

Now the question is, what meds sould i attempt to treat the tank with?

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Hmmm...that is a hard question. First, make sure your water params are good.

Some parasite meds include an antibiotic for secondary infection. Other brands, like Mardel, allow you to use a few at once. I think Mardel has a flow chart for symptoms on their web site. I know they include it in all their meds sold in the stores.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
I looked throught the mardel chart but couldnt come up with what is definately ckilling my fish.

I was thinking about starting tomorrow to dose with jungle parasite clear. I've heard many good things about it, and it seems to be one of the less strong meds.

What do you guys think?

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
Alright. I woke up this morning, turned on the light, and saw my killie flashing pretty pretty bad.
Theres nothing that i can find physically wrong with him, so what do you guys think i should dose with?

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
I would go ahead and try the Jungle parasite clear. I could be wrong but I believe that med has an antibiotic in it as well. Right now, we're kind of shooting in the dark, but even illness that is caused from parasites often get secondary bacterial infections.

If you don't get results in a reasonable amount of time, I would assume it's primarily a bacterial infection, so I would discontinue, do a large water change, and try Maracyn and Maracyn 2.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
I would go ahead and try the Jungle parasite clear. I could be wrong but I believe that med has an antibiotic in it as well. Right now, we're kind of shooting in the dark, but even illness that is caused from parasites often get secondary bacterial infections.

If you don't get results in a reasonable amount of time, I would assume it's primarily a bacterial infection, so I would discontinue, do a large water change, and try Maracyn and Maracyn 2.
alright i jsut picked up parasite clear. i just took out the carbon in my filter and im about to dose the tank. lets see how it works out

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Don't parasites usually cause weight loss in a fish before stool changes?

Just be very careful about parasite meds...they are toxic.
Depends on the parasite. Yes, the meds can be toxic to fish, depending on dosage, general health, and other factors, but what ever the fish have is apparently toxic, as well.

I've successfully treated some of my own fish with meds and some that were loaned to me to nurse back to health. I can't imagine watching a tank die off one by one and not trying to help them.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
well i dosed my whole tank 38 gallon with 4 parasite clear tablets. 1 is good for 10 gallons. The tank clouded real bad in the beginning. but cleared up alot, though it is a bit hazy still.

All fish are acting fine and normal for now. How long should i wait to put the carbon back in? And the package says i could redose in 48 hours. Should i just stick with the one dose or dose it again in 2 days?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store