Lots of Baby BNs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Easily counted 40+, no DOAs in over 2 weeks.

Current tank setup is a 20 Long with HOB on the end, intake plumbed down to opposite end. + a big Sponge filter in the middle. 40 Breeder still awaiting setup.

Compare fry size with pic from 6/25.

..and thanks for the compliments RB... Camera is a "very expensive" beat up Fuji Finepix 340 that my sis-in-law was going to toss out. It's a bit finicky, but optics are just fine. focuses way better thru water than thru glass :)

DSCF1839.JPG DSCF1838.JPG DSCF1841.JPG

Last edited:

jbowzer7

AC Members
Apr 5, 2008
Red Wing, MN
I always have way to many BN, they breed like rabbits. I just leave them in the 125 gal. with all the other fish. I also have a group in a 75 gal. breeding crazy. I sell them to two LFS, but they can't take them fast enough. I don't like to ship in this hot weather we are having. So beware of the breeding frenzy you might end up with.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I would guess other fish eat the tiny plecos, get out competed for food and starve, then eaten or the adults fight with them.
I also only use raw cucumber from our garden[just for my bottom dwellers]. The blanched stuff falls apart real fast, none ever touch it and it's such a mess. The raw slices get gobbled up by all my fish in 24hrs. =)

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
More Pics...
There's a 2x size difference between the largest and smallest now, but all seem fine. Still 40+ in there.

DSCF1854.JPGDSCF1852.JPGDSCF1850.JPG

DSCF1852.JPG DSCF1854.JPG DSCF1850.JPG

Last edited:

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Set up their new 40 Breeder with sand bottom yesterday. 1 bag of pool filter sand, added the sand from a planted 10G and a bunch of small vals, + a few cupfuls of sand from my Deep sand bed tank, as well as moving the HOB and sponge filters from the pleco tank. So, I'd say we are cycled...plenty of MTS to stir the sand too.

+ ~a dozen guppies and some RCS... I moved 2 10s and a 20 into a 40. two less tanks to maintain (and now I have three spares!)

Maybe get some pix tonite or Sunday. Need to get the vals to stay planted !

I counted 46+ while they were feeding yesterday.

Last edited:

newbie breeder

AC Members
Aug 26, 2011
Anyway in the future I can get one of those? They are so cute.I can pay and stuff, not now in a few months.

No worries.

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Pic of the plecos in their new 40 Breeder with guppies, RCS and MTS. Some are now ~ 1-1/4", while others are barely 3/4". While transferring them I found one that was not much bigger than 2 months ago.

I've also noticed several different colorations. Brownish, or blackish, with or without spots. I realize that is subject to change as they mature.

I've had a few inquires re: "when can I buy some?" I will consider selling some in a month or so.

DSCF1882.JPG

DSCF1882.JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks for sharing the progress with us and it looks like you're doing a great job! I need to separate my babies next time too because I have the same problem you had.

BTW I found 8 in that pic. :D I think the one below and to the left of the airline insert might actually be 2 facing different directions too.

Keep us posted!

DSCF1823 (1).JPG

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Thanks for sharing the progress with us and it looks like you're doing a great job! I need to separate my babies next time too because I have the same problem you had.

BTW I found 8 in that pic. :D I think the one below and to the left of the airline insert might actually be 2 facing different directions too.

Keep us posted!
Could be...there were a few more I thought I found in that pix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store