lotsa breeding, no babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
I have two paired angels in a heavily planted 55gallon. The pair were formed from a group of six juveniles. The only tank mates are 4 SAE to control a breakout of hair algae {eradicated now}. The angels have bred a dozen times on slate, sword plant leaves, the filter you name it. The eggs allways grow white and are eaten by the pair. I have observed them mate and the two " vents" are visably diffrent. From what I have read the eggs are not getting fertalized and that is why they turn white. Is it possible the fish are infertile or is their something else I need to do?
PH is steady at 7
Temp is at 77F
50% percent water changes weekly
Large sponge filter
eheim classic plus 2213 canister filter

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Quite possible that your "pair" is two females. This happens not unfrequently. Other possibilities are one or more sterile fish, or total male ineptitude. But even the slowest males get some of the eggs after a few tries. My money would be on two females. The next couple of times they breed notice which lays the eggs. They usuallly will alternate.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
How soon do the eggs turn white? If it is in the first 24 hours they are probably not fertilized but if it is after a few days they are fungused and no longer viable. I have raised thousands of angels over the past 3 years and in all my breeder tanks the eggs turn white if I don't pull them and raise them artificially. Didn't use to be that way but I had some water issues (long story - almost made me give up breeding) and haven't been able to parent raise since. Before you break them all apart and start from scratch - I would pull the next spawn and hatch them artificially to see if the are fertile or not. It is not hard to do and then you will know for certain. If you decide to try it artificially and need some pointers, let me know and I will be more than happy to let you know what I do.

HTH,

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
I have a pair of Angels that have mated 2 dozen times already and babies always hatch. When the eggs are fertilized, they turn a very light tan color almost right away. When they are white, they are either not fertilized at all or fungus has set in.
Take a close look at the eggs with a magnifier, from outside the fish tank. If they look all fuzzy, they have fungal growth on them. I have seen other types of Cichlids mate when both are females -- so it does happen, and this may be the problem. Some angels are just not good parents and if they don't take care of the eggs by fanning them all the time, they grow fungus and die. In either case, not much you can do -- let em have a good time !!

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
If your angels are spawning close to the inflow of your filter this could also be hampering the fertilization of the eggs. You do say how many spawns they have had but angels need to practice they don't usually get it right till the 4th spawn. some strains like German blue blushers can take even longer to get it right. I have been breeding angels since the 70's if you have a male and a female you will get fry. but they will not last long with other angels in the tank.

FYI the female tube is the shape of a pencil's eraser the male tube is like the point of the pencil. it really is easy to spot the difference.

thebetta two female will spawn together they can both lay eggs or one will lay eggs while the other guards them when no viable males are available. this is quite common with angels

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store