Louise's 1mx 600x 800 reef build + PICS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Your red algae sounds like cyanobacteria, One of the oldest forms of life on the planet. Everyone gets it and it is not uncommon to see it in newer systems but also pops up in mature systems. The best thing to do is a series of 3 day lights out with actinic lighting only on the fourth day followed by a water change. After that you can resume your normal light cycle. You may need to do this a couple of times spaced a couple weeks apart. Your fish and corals will be fine for the 3 day period and you can feed your tank.

Aside from that you should be focusing on not overfeeding, staying on water changes and siphoning out patches in between water changes and skimming wet. Increased flow should also help and "dead spots" may be the culprit to start with.

Have you tried the baited glass yet for the crab?

Gonipora are beautiful but also can be challenging. Recommend you do so reading on them for best chances of long-term success.

Look forward to seeing the pics of the gonipora.

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Louise.... hard to guess right?
I have done 2x 3 day blackout phases and the cyano is off my sand but still on the rockwork. Water change done yesterday. I will continue the 3 day blackouts for the next couple weeks...

The tank is seriously a disaster zone... Part of a rock fell on my fungus and he is going white, that same rock knocked down my gorgeous red chalice which is now dead. My newest coral (the toxic goni) disappeared for a couple days and I have since found it- half dead. The crab struck again and wiped out the rest of my red xenia and both my chromis died.

It is just not my week...

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry to hear that :(. I just had a bit of cyano pop up as well and what helped me was cleaning every part of the sump and overflow. The sump was that bad as far as build up of detritus but the overflow was nasty. After I cleaned those and did a good WC to remove the little cyano I had in the tank, it has not returned. You can turn your lights down/off all you want but if the source is still there to fuel the cyano, it will come back.

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Louise.... hard to guess right?
From bad to better and back to bad...

So the GOOD news:
1. Decided to give chromis a second shot and so glad i did. These 4 newbies are fantastic! They don't fight (yet), the swim around the entire aquarium and they aren't getting bullied by anything :)
2. My toxic goni is recovering!! Im shocked and amazed at this. The 'dead' sections are sprouting new polyps. They aren't extending very far but I believe that they'll be back to full length in no time :D

BAD news:
1. Favia fell on half dead fungus and is now dead itself :( Fungus didn't take any damage but still isnt looking too great...
2. Starfish has 2 cuts on one leg and not sure how they got there...
3. Crab struck again and knocked out more zoas :(
4. Cyano keeps returning so I'll need to give ChemiClean a go (something i was trying to avoid)

Id LOVE to just crawl into a hole and not come out. The tank is just so depressing to look at :'(

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Does the cyano break out in a low flow area of your tank? Maybe repositioning your power heads or adding one more might do the trick there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store