LOVE SHACK

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Love the urchin. My bangaii pair spawn about every 6 weeks like clockwork. I know he is carrying when he won't eat. Unfortunately he spits them after all are in bed so I can never be there to save them......My first experience was when I got up one morning and found 16 babies in the fuge.....out of the 16 I have two that have permanent residence there until I tear down the fuge to catch them...they are quarter sized now and will eventually reside in my 29g. I am sure that my bta is getting to be the size it is from feasting often on bangaii babies.....I know this sounds cruel and mean but it is really more stressful if I were to try to catch him prior to release. I think my clowns are getting ready too as they have been doing the mating shimmy for a couple weeks now.....all is well in the biospehere.....

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I know what you mean Lorna. "Dad" is currently holding another mouthful but I thought I'd give Titch a chance to grow before trying to catch mum and dad to put them in.

Glad you like the urchin- took me all of 5 mins to make!!! I felt the tank was too small for a real long-spine so got in a surrogate, which Titch hasn't gone anywhere near!!!

Good luck with the clowns!

Catpicklesdog

Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Ha! I wondered about that. I made Christmas decorations out of gumballs from trees here and toothpicks on year. They looked just like your "urchin" and were panted a brushed gold.
Well if Titch doesn't use it, I'll stick it on top of the christmas tree!!

Catpicklesdog

Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Well We're making a bit of progress. One thing two remember is that "Titch" was raised from a "spat out egg"!!!

I stated on the 12th Jan that dad was holding eggs. I lied! - He was getting ready. On the 13th Jan (my Dad's birthday) my dad and I were eating our evening meal when I looked up and saw "Bangaii dad's" mouth absolutely spewing with eggs! Quite amusing to watch him try and keep them all in.

Progress - is - today I can actually see tails and fins inside his mouth which is one stage we've never got to before. I have place another "surrogate" urchin in the main tank to see if it'll encourage him to release them there and hope that they'll be protected.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I'll be watching this thread closely, but not too closely. I wouldn't want to embarrass any of the romantics:rolleyes:

Seriously, very cool!!!

Catpicklesdog

Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Holy flapping fins batman....sounds like their doing well so far....Good luck....

Niko
Ok - not heard that one before :grinyes:

I'll be watching this thread closely, but not too closely. I wouldn't want to embarrass any of the romantics:rolleyes:
They don't seem to mind:naughty: it was quite entertaining watching her twitch away. That's when I knew things were imminent!!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Sorry to sound like a noob but how can you tell which one is male and which one is female??

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Lookin cool cpd. Congrats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store