Low KH - baking soda OR crushed coral?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
I have a planted 55 gallon tank with power compact lighting very established. My tap water has very low KH. My PH dropped to an unsafe level... 5.0 and I did water changes to remedy. I have added some tetras so I need to ensure my water remains stable for them.

Current Tank Conditions: PH 6.5 - 7.0 / Kh 1 - .8 / Nitrate 0 / ammonia 0.
Tap Water: PH 7.0 / Kh 1 - .8

Should I add crushed coral to a filter or Arm & Hammer baking soda to add KH - carbonate hardness? What is more stable?

Neptune

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Calcium carbonate is a better buffer. Have to be careful with water changes as large partials with straight tap can cause the KH to drop rapidly, then take a while for your crushed coral to dissolve. I've seen folks with extremely low KH do calcium carbonate addition with a reactor system similar to a SW kalk reactor.

Mark

Reactions: Neptune555

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've done both separately but like Mark said, big water changes can cause big swings. If you do both coral in the filter & add baking soda on refills it works with less variation. I don't recall the amount of sodium bicarb I used to get KH to ~3-5 GDH. I used ~ 2 TBSPs cc in a piece of panty hose for a 75g.

With only bicarb the fast growing plants would zero out the KH between weekly WCs. So if you try it maybe dosing 2x/week might be better. (I'm not good at remembering to dose anything so my tanks are always low on whatever, oops). Start with 1/2 teaspoon or so & see how much that changes KH then test again in 3 or 4 days. It won't take long to figure out how much & how often.

Depending where you live, your KH may vary seasonally, mine did.

Reactions: Neptune555
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store