Low light floating plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Salvinia natans does really well for me with low light, it looks like large-leaf duckweed. I throw about 1/3 out every week (into the compost bin)... here's an info page on it with pics:
http://www.washjeff.edu/greenhouse/Snatans/#taxonomy

I think duckweed does ok too but I don't have experience with it, but I would stick to large duckweed as I've heard the itty bitty stuff is difficult to get rid of should you ever want to.

fishhead

Nov 27, 2002
Austin, TX
Another nice low light floater is Ceratopteris. They can get a bit bigger, and develop nice big hanging root systems that many fish love to hang out in. Various Ceratopteris species are often called Watersprite. But watch out since sometimes a LFS will call Wisteria watersprite. Ceratopteris looks quite different immersed as opposed to floating. Submersed Ceratopteris thalictroides can look a bit like Wisteria, which I suppose is where the error comes from. Find floating watersprite and you will be safe.

Depending on the laws where you live in Salvinia and Duckweed may be easier or harder to find. They are both seriously invasive menaces in the wild, and some places crack down on selling them, especially those that have waterways that are stuck budgeting money clearing waterways smothered by them.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I had a hate/love relationship with Water Sprite. The original beautiful clump I put in disintegrated and my tank looked like he!! with all the bits swirling around (I had planted it so maybe that was the problem). However, the babies that afterwards grew up are gorgeous and require trimming weekly. Water Sprite should be easier to find.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Yea Kveeti - my first water sprites I planted in the substrate - and while a couple did ok, most did not. But from the pieces came the babies which I left floating. Now I have 2 huge plants in the substrate and a ton of floating sprite. In fact, it grows so fast for me I am usually selling some weekly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store