Lowering my pH, and what should I do with my Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MMarr

Lost Soul In His Domain...
May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi! I'm Matt, I'm new to these forums and im also quite new to the hobby.

My specs:
33G tank
Purple and white graval (its so ugly, lol)
various sizes of plastic plants and decor
a submarine dude that shoots bubbles, along with a long tube that shoots bubbles in the back of the tank
one 10W flourescent light (came with the tank)

My Fish:
1 angelfish
2 buenos aires tetras
1 zebra tetra
2 bloodfin tetras
2 black fin tetras
2 other tetra fish unknown of which type
1 betta
1 frog (not sure which type)

I've been reading a lot about these fish and doing alot of my research (especially on this site and http://www.myfishbox.com) but the problem is I did the research AFTER I got the fish, so I realize I've done a LOT OF MISTAKES (i've read that sticky on beginner's tips, oh my..)
like for instance, tetras like to be in schools of their own type, and I have tetras who are paired and some alone, I know that angelfish like schools too, but the problem is when i bought the four angelfish, the other 3 were in bad condition and they all died (yeah, and I found them all stuck to the filter, i felt like throwing up) I've had the tank for about a month now, and the cycle is almost finished (another noob thing to do, i had no idea i could do fishless cycling!) as the nitrite levels are beginning to shoot up. I know quite a bit more than I did last month, so I'm beginning to understand what I'm doing.

Now to get on topic. My tap water's pH is above and beyond my pH testing kit. My pH testing kit reads from 6.0 - 7.6, and my tap water is showing 7.6. I know that my pH is higher than 7.6 because i've done a few tests where i'll take 5mg of aquarium water and add 2 drops of vinegar (which has a pHlevel of 3) and it will go down to a 7.3. So I'm wondering how I could get my pH level down, and if possible, before the water gets put into my tank. I've tried pHadjust(down) and that works for about 30 minutes and goes way back up. I realize that this is probably because chances are my KH is high as well, but again, I wouldn't have a clue how to get that down either. :( Any suggestions?

My second problem is about my poor male betta! I understand that it's recommended not to put male bettas with any other fish, but I believed the lfs dealer, simply because I believe what I see, and I saw a male betta in a community tank with tetras. But what I didn't realize is how different, different types of tetra's personalities are. My betta hides in the cave all day and won't even come up to eat, in fear of having his fins nibbed at. It hardly has any fins left, maybe half a centimeter left. The main bulliers are the bloodfin tetras and the buenos aires tetras especially. I feel bad for the betta but I don't have a different container to put him in! I'm trying to keep as calm as possible and just say to myself that the betta will be ok, but I know that that isn't the case. Again, are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
MMarr

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
Lowering pH: If you search around here you will find various threads on this topic. Peat is recommended by many but it will turn your water the color of very weak tea as the tanins leach out into the water. Some recommend against the chemical because of issues similar to yours. Others think chemicals are great. I personally have gone with the RO water method. I can get this at the local windmill (RO water dispensers) in the grocery store parking lot. It is only 30 cents a gallon and has a pH of 6.2 (my tap water is like yours). I mix it with my tap water and keep a pH of 6.8.

The Betta: Get a small 3 - 5 gallon tank for him with a nano filter and let him live alone. You could also get like a 10 gallon and get him some cory tank mates. They live low he lives high and they will leave him alone. Some tetras can be big fin nippers and though bettas have a reputation for being tough with other bettas, they can be real wimps against other smaller/faster fish (usually due to the Bettas slow movement).
You could also get him a 2-3 gallon bowl without the filter, you just need to change the water more often. But please do not get him one of those tiny bowls. Mine loves swimming around the 3 gallon tank I have for him.

MMarr

May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks alot for that! It seems like it's going to be necessary to have the betta live seperately, I'm sure it would be way happier. I will look into RO water a little more, because I've never heard of it before and it sounds like a really good way to keep a well balanced pH, so again, thank you!

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
if you need a quick, temporary alternative to the larger gallons, you can keep in as little as 1g jar found at a grocery store. Bettas can do well in a community tank, you just got to get the right fish with it and watch behaviors. Also if the frog is an african dwarf not a clawed one, it could keep him company in the 3g and up tanks- especially if you don't see the frog out much either, they like having at least one companion too. you can tell if it is adf because it 's eyes are on the side , not directly on top, and their feet are webbed. leopardess has a great article on them, I'd recommend, on aquaria central.

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
Goto Walmart and buy a large glass jar. Some hold almost 4 gallons, are easy to decorate, don't distort your view of the fish, and only cost about $7.

Keep a desklamp above it, throw in some hornwort (cut a stem into 4-5" sprigs and keep in a room that gets some sun) for cover and hiding places, add some shrimp and a snail or two to play clean up, and a XL AFD and you'll have a nice, easy to maintain betta home.

Last edited:

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
Aquapharm has a high range that goes to 8.8.

Perhaps mixing in measured parts of filtered/bottled water would help? (thinking off the top of my head)

Lisa

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Don't touch your pH. Your fish have already acclimated to what you are keeping them in and lowering your pH will be very stressful. As already recommended, the easier and better option will be to get a high range test kit.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
My tap water has a PH of 8.5. I have three tanks set up since the beginning of the year and am setting up a new one now.

My fish are doing great and many of them have exhibited breeding behavior.

I see no reason to adjust my PH, and most aquarists who approach the hobby from a scientific view have found no reason to adjust a PH unless you are keeping wild caught fish or are trying to breed them.

MMarr

May 1, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Wow, I thank you all very much for the great tips.

I will be getting a high range pH kit very soon, and hopefully a kH and gH kit if theres any available.

I'm sorry to say that my betta fish died a couple of days ago :sad: found him floating sideways at the top of my tank... but thanks anyways for the advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store