lowering PH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
What is your ph now? What fish are you keeping? Why do you want to lower it? Most fish are bred in neutral water so a ph close to seven is acceptable even if that is not what the fish incures in the wild.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Peat will help.... :)

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
2 convicts... a jack depsey.. and an oscar... I hope they are in seperate tanks of appropriate size =)

Peat may or may not work for you... I tried peat filtration once, and it didn't work for me. All it did was turn my water brown. I believe it only makes a good impact if your water is not overly hard... my water is hard, so that would probably explain it. Another thing you can also try is putting in a fair sized piece of driftwood into your tanks. It essentially gives you the same effect as peat.

HTH
-Richer

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Well, at least two of those fish will THRIVE in pH of 8.3, and I wouldn't worry too much about the Oscar, either, unless it was wild-caught. As long as you acclimated them to your water, they'll be fine in it and not die from alkalosis.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
Have you tried RO water? Maybe do a fifty percent change with RO water and then wait a day and do another one. I don't know if that would eat up the buffer or not in a PH like that but then maybe if it drops your pH you could do mixed water changes with RO and tap. Or you could just keep Africans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store