Magnum 350 efficiency upgrade and Microwave Carbon Recharging

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Having researched lightly on the subject I have found the theoretical methods by which ac can be re-used. My interpretation of what I found on the subject is as follows:
The main focus appears that the steam is what drives out the unwanted debris and opens the pores back up for re-use. I would have to say that based on those theories, your methods very well may accomplish it. It also appears that what renders the ac as expended is the amount of debris that fill the pores. Further testing has shown that steam or chemicals will strip the debris making it once again useful.

Based on these interpretations I would suggest that your method may indeed be plausible and functional. I think if you were to examine the carbon under a microscope before your "treatment" and then after it, it would show you if it was indeed working. I would also think that possibly if you were to find any "waste" after your treatment, either in the final rinse or in the cooking container, that would further support your claim of reclamation. I would not consider the initial rinses as anything more than a cursory rinsing to remove bulk waste and not a portion of the actual reclamation process.

If no one else choose to follow your idea and wants to nay-say it that is their right, but I for one am interested in what you come up with.

Please keep us (or me) informed.

Thanks!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well I posted it mainly as an alternative for those on a budget and need to stretch the use of their carbon. Compared to just rinsing it sure smells looks and acts different, allot more like when new especially on the float test much more buoyant. In any case this is my 3rd recharge and it sure collects allot after a month of use. What I am really stoked about is the improvement in my magnum 350, the out port has never blown this hard, getting much more GPH then before and the tanks are sparkling. I don't think increasing the strainer size or using carbon bags is anything new for canister improvement, just that the magnum 350 has some obvious room for improvement that I thought I would share since I happen to own and like this 350 GPH canister filter that cost only $85.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=47433504

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Firstly, this method will, at best, partially clean the carbon, However, the % of restoration gained can not be all that substantial. It also means you are using a less and less efficient carbon with each "cleaning" which, in turn, means it doesn't work as effectively as new or properly reactivated carbon and That it clogs (reaches capacity) much faster.

As was noted in the article I linked to by RTR, it is cheaper and as effective to do water changes to achieve similar results under normal circumstances as it is to use carbon regularly. So I wonder when you factor in your time and the cost of electricity to run the microwave, exactly how much you are saving here.

I also still question the efficacy of the process you outline. The only way to know would be to use lab tests:
Standard adsorption capacity tests such as Iodine number and butane number are an initial basis for comparison of Reactivated and virgin carbon. While these test are sufficient for most applications, some applications require comparing removal of targeted compounds. A comparative test utilizing the Rapid Small Scale Column Test (RSSCT) should be utilized by comparing the adsorption performance of Reactivated vs. virgin carbons with a sample of the end users influent water stream.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well like I said its mainly offered to folks that already like to use carbon to help clean it much better then rise reuse. I know Iv tried going without carbon but I just can archive the same results in consistent crystal clarity and better water numbers. I know that almost every water treatment plant in the country cant operate without it so it so it must have some merit. Anyway if you do get tempted to try it the steam and sparks shooting out of the carbon is an interesting sight, but don't let the wife catch you lol.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Actually, I only use carbon to pull specific stuff, not as a nomal media. I am however a big fan of the HOT Magnums which I do use several of and in them all I use the micron cartridge. My water sparkles :) try it with a couple of tablespoons of DE.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I for one do not use carbon in any of my filtration systems including my DIY's. My reasons for not using it is cost and efficacy of use. I have well water that is very clean, clear and cold. Other than the possibilities of VOC's and DOC's, the water in my tanks appear no different than a similar professionally well-maintained system.

It comes down to cost-effectiveness. I maintain approximately 500 gallons across multiple tanks. Without the addition of carbon there is no apparent hazard suspended in the water column. No smell, discoloration, etc exists for me. I do not advocate the use or non-use of carbon as I feel it may be beneficial in some situations. I feel each person needs to decide for their own application as to it's value. This does not mean I have no carbon, as I do maintain a small amount for use in my hospital/QT tank.

I think the process you have outlined may in-fact be beneficial to persons that need an quick recharge of carbon for an emergency situation. Sure it isn't professionally recharged, but if it works even in part, I think it's great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store