maintenance question on a heavily planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
I'm working on covering the bottom of my aquarium with plants. I've seen guys like Takashi Amano that have the substrate in their aquariums completely covered in plants. Do tanks like these not need a gravel vac? Or are they just very lightly stocked?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You do not really need to do a major gravel vac if you have lots of plants. The roots "Shift" the gravel very well.

I have a heavily planted tank, but not have the bottom covered. I just vac around my plants. OK for years.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Agreed, planted tank substrates typically do not need to be vacuumed and it's not uncommon to enrich such substrates with fertilizer tablets and/or soil, laterite, etc. I avoid disturbing the deep layers of substrate immediately around rooted plants, but sometimes use my hand to wave/aerate/stir up the top layer a bit and periodically will pick up rocks and driftwood to remove accumulations of mulm/detritus that build up under them over time. I wouldn't bother doing this if the driftwood is anchored as the focal point, however. Doing so would destroy the aquascape.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
agreed x2

Waving your hand to cause a current is a favorite technique of mine to get surface detritus up and out of tight growers like Bylxa, micro swords, etc, so you can either siphon or let the filter remove

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Oh cool, that's cool because I'm also using micro swords to cover the bottom. Turns out it shouldn't take too long either, they're growing shoots faster than I expected.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Good info. I just got some EcoComplete and it seems like the fish waste just sits on top of the gravel and I feel like its not sanitary for my cory and khuli loach who always swim in it. I'll have to try that stirring up technique.

Don't mean to thread jack, but on the topic of stirring up the top of the gravel... Is it also necessary to shift the lower layers of gravel to release toxic gases that can build up? I heard this somewhere, but not exactly sure if it necessary.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is it also necessary to shift the lower layers of gravel to release toxic gases that can build up? I heard this somewhere, but not exactly sure if it necessary.
I do not think this is true of planted tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store