Make my baby sleep...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
dwayne said:
Babies don't know how to manipulate w/ their cries until 5-6 months, and if you don't mind sleeping with him, you are NOT causing him any harm or starting any habits by doing so until that age. Does he sleep in the car? My best friend's son ONLY sleeps in the car, and in the car seat in his crib! Swings, bouncy seats, exersaucers, etc... are all ok for a baby to sleep in as well -- wherever they sleep, let them sleep!

If I were in your shoes, I'd co-sleep until 5-6 months, try the crib again and CIO if necessary. . . Good luck!!!
It's not a bad habit to continue co-sleeping past that age either, provided it's working well for the family. All three of my kids did 'til they were 2, then transferred relatively easily to a bed (gradual process) and have been sound sleepers in their own beds and rooms since then. :)

Just one word of caution about constantly sleeping in car seats...it's not good for their spines to constantly sleep in one (ie for every nap and all night long). I had a friend who's baby only slept in one too...and she had to work to get him broken of the habit. Just like an older child and adult, babies need to be able to move around in their sleep, and a bucket seat is just too restrictive.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
mishi8 said:
It's not a bad habit to continue co-sleeping past that age either, provided it's working well for the family. All three of my kids did 'til they were 2, then transferred relatively easily to a bed (gradual process) and have been sound sleepers in their own beds and rooms since then. :)

Just one word of caution about constantly sleeping in car seats...it's not good for their spines to constantly sleep in one (ie for every nap and all night long). I had a friend who's baby only slept in one too...and she had to work to get him broken of the habit. Just like an older child and adult, babies need to be able to move around in their sleep, and a bucket seat is just too restrictive.
Agreed mishi! If we had a king sized bed, or if my son was a log when he slept, we may have continued co-sleeping :D (he outgrew the bassinet, and was too much of a tosser/turner to share my bed safely)

And agreed about constantly sleeping in car seats too! Her son is just 7 weeks, and this has been his "thing" for the past 3. . . her pedi warned against full time car seat sleeping for more than a month. It's probably less of a deal for him too, becuase he has been sleeping (no lie) for the past 2 weeks from 11pm - 445am and naps from 1030 - 1125 like CLOCKWORK! This has been the past 4 weeks!! Crazy kid man!!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
crying babies....lol.....I had the most perfect baby the first time around. Could set a clock to his schedule.. Wake up at 8am...back to sleep at 10am...wake up at noon.....back to sleep at 2....wake up at 4pm....yadayadayada....BUT, he woke up every 4 hours at night too..until he was about 9 months of age...lol...

If I had my second child first....I would never have had another !!! :eek:
She cried ALL the time...wanted to eat every 20 minutes, but wouldn't eat much. I was about to go crazy myself. When she was 3-4 months old I called the Dr to ask if she should still be getting me up at night. He said..No..she should be able to get through the night without having to eat.

That was all I needed to hear ! That night when she woke me up to eat, I went into her room, picked her up and walked the room with her for 2-3 straight hours. Didn't feed her, just talked softly to her and snuggled her. When she fell asleep I put her back to bed. Did this for 3 nights straight, the 3rd night I didn't pick her up, just stood next to the crib and patted and rubbed her back.....for 3 hours ! That was the last time she woke me in the night.

She just turned 14 yesturday.... :D

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Emg said:
crying babies....lol.....I had the most perfect baby the first time around. Could set a clock to his schedule.. Wake up at 8am...back to sleep at 10am...wake up at noon.....back to sleep at 2....wake up at 4pm....yadayadayada....BUT, he woke up every 4 hours at night too..until he was about 9 months of age...lol...

If I had my second child first....I would never have had another !!! :eek:
She cried ALL the time...wanted to eat every 20 minutes, but wouldn't eat much. I was about to go crazy myself. When she was 3-4 months old I called the Dr to ask if she should still be getting me up at night. He said..No..she should be able to get through the night without having to eat.
I hear ya about second kids. My second was a handful! And both my second and third kids ate throughout the night...not uncommon with breastfed babies...breastmilk is very quickly digested, and so they become hungry more frequently.

That was all I needed to hear ! That night when she woke me up to eat, I went into her room, picked her up and walked the room with her for 2-3 straight hours. Didn't feed her, just talked softly to her and snuggled her. When she fell asleep I put her back to bed. Did this for 3 nights straight, the 3rd night I didn't pick her up, just stood next to the crib and patted and rubbed her back.....for 3 hours ! That was the last time she woke me in the night.

She just turned 14 yesturday.... :D
I'm dreading when my daughter turns into a teenager. She has been giving me a run for my money this last couple of weeks (she's 3.5), being very stubborn and, I swear, enjoys picking fights. She decided to have the tantrum to end all tantrums at the swimming pool yesterday (we were waiting for her brothers to finish swimming). I ended up getting a complement from another mom for my patience and "grace." Sure didn't feel like I was at all graceful! LOL!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store