Make sure tank doesn't fall off stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sandfish

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
I have a baby in the process of learning to crawl, who will soon be pulling on everything in reach. I need to put my 20 long tank on a stand, and I'd really like it to be where the kids can stand in front of it and stare at the fish (I've looked into how to make sure electrical cords and supplies are completely inaccessible for safety). I have some options for anchoring the stand itself (wood or metal, I haven't decided yet) to the wall. The problem is the lower-cost stands I'm looking at all have flat surfaces for the tank to rest on, with no lip around the edge to make SURE the tank itself doesn't move on the stand if a baby/toddler yanks on it. And of course there is very little space on that flat surface around the edges of the tank.

I know a full 20g tank contains about 166 lbs of water alone, to say nothing of any substrate or décor or the aquarium itself, and a 20 long is less top-heavy than a regular 20. Would its weight and low profile make it entirely stable and immovable on a flat, smooth surface like an aquarium stand without a lip around the edge? Is there any way to anchor it to the stand in a way that's safe for kids and tank?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It would be very hard to move a 20L out of place when filled. But for your peace of mind it would be super simple to attach a board to the front top edge on the stand to create a lip. Excuse my poor paint skills but the red line is the board I am referring to.
tank.png

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If metal, you could use flat aluminum bar stock available at any big box hardware store to create the lip, using self-tapping screws to attach it. Same for right angle pieces at the back to connect it to wall studs. Some simple paint to blend it with stand/wall color.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
It is going to depend on the particular child. Some it won't be any problem at all, and others are going to try things. Unless there is a tool involved, or they climb on or behind the stand or tank they won't have much chance of moving a tank. I would be more worried about what they might do to the fish or the glass than about that issue.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
For what it is worth, I would say the only way to move the tank off the staff would be if it we're to be pushed or pulled over.

Attatching the 2 would be of little help. I would say using a fence or having a tank with a bigger footprint. Or making sure nobody tries climbing and not worrying so much.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
From a structural standpoint, attaching the stand to wall studs is superior to a fence around it. Even a larger footprint stand is the next best option.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
having gone thru a number of children (we have 10) and grandchildren (don't ask), i have to agree that by far the most important thing is to truly secure the stand to the wall. as mentioned above, having the stand structure well bolted the the wall studs will be the best way.

it is far more likely that a small child will be able to pull over a stand by climbing on it than be able to slide a large aquarium off the top.

of course, since we live in earthquake country, i wall mount it AND have a rim around the edge

i make no promises about hitting the glass with various implements, or dumping various things into the water

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm with pbeemer & Bob, here in EQ country the "safe" option is strapped to a wall stud. But, although I don't have kids, I know they can find ways to wreak havoc with tanks. I "tried" to teach my nieces pounding or even tapping on tanks gives fish a headache...I'm not sure it stuck...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store