Malawi Cichlids + Rainbow Shark?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
I recently set up a 55 gallon tank for Malawis. I have a 29 gallon planted tank that I had to remove my rainbow shark from because he was stressing most of the fish in it due to his aggressive behavior - especially any new comers.

I put him in the new 55 gal to help cycle it - i'd also heard of people putting them in with cichlids without any problems.

I was planning on taking him out for a couple days when I put the new fish in but the large amount of slate rockwork I have in the tank makes it very very very difficult to do.

Yesterday, I had put in 3 yellow labs, 3 electric blue, and 2 acei in the tank. They are all small - about 1.5 in long. The shark, which we have had for about 3 years, is about 5 inches long.

I have noticed the shark chases the cichlids A LOT - he basically believes he already owns the tank. While they do get a little excited (high respiration, etc) when he chases them, they don't really cower in fear either (in the planted community tank, the fish would stay at the surface or hide when chased).

Now, considering how difficult it will be to get him out, what should I do? If I leave him in, will the cichlids eventually put him in his place? I don't want them to start dying off because they are bullied...

Any advice here is certainly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
A few years back, I had one in mt tank with Kenya's, zebra's and a few others. Mt rainbow actually killed off quite a few!! Moved him into my CA tank and he did fine (being with a 11" oscar, 4 JD's, 2 midas/RD's kinda cooled him down) :)

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
Yeah, I have a feeling that once the malawis get bigger they won't take his crap, but if they are too stressed in the meantime they might not make it that long...

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
They should be fine :) my cichlids are actually afraid of the shark lol. They're like "WHAT IS THAT!"

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Not trying to be mean here, but how can anyone say there shouldn't be a problem....and give the advice to do it? I would say if you really want to give it a try, but be prepared to move him. I don't see how anyone can state there will be no problems. Things may work out, as every fish is different...but the likelihood something may go wrong and fish will be lost is pretty high.

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
He is calming down now.

I haven't seen him chase for a day or two. If the mbuna get to close to his territory he'll occasionally pop his head out at them and they'll move away a little. Overall it seems to be better, they seem to respect his territory and he seems to respect them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store