Malaysian Trumpet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Hey all!

Quick question. I have not seen my trumpet snail in about 3 days. Should I be worried?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Malaysian trumpet snails will burrow in the substrate so maybe that's where it is. Have you seen the empty shell anywhere?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A single MTS?

I didn't think that was possible the way it is with them.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Well, I asked for 3 but 2 died. So maybe he's heartbroken? I have not seen his shell anywhere and I have gravel. I've only had them about a week. They are less than 1/4" and i haven't seen them climb the window only across the gravel... I'm lost :(

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Check before lights are on the tank, including sunlight,

Chances are MTS will be further up the tank glass rather than buried

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Check before lights are on the tank, including sunlight,

Chances are MTS will be further up the tank glass rather than buried
I will use a flashlight to check when it's dark. Thanks!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Good luck!

It may be difficult to see if there's only one. But look closely, snails aren't too fast and will likely be moving down the glass very slowly.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Good luck!

It may be difficult to see if there's only one. But look closely, snails aren't too fast and will likely be moving down the glass very slowly.
So, I've been checking the glass and the gravel with a flashlight. The only snails I see are my 2 mystery snails... I think he's either lost or dead :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think MTS are live bearers, aren't they? & nocturnal too. I wouldn't worry yet. Many fish can't eat them; they have a "trapdoor" they can close to protect themselves. The new baby snails are very tiny & may not come out where you can see them.

Good luck!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
I think MTS are live bearers, aren't they? & nocturnal too. I wouldn't worry yet. Many fish can't eat them; they have a "trapdoor" they can close to protect themselves. The new baby snails are very tiny & may not come out where you can see them.

Good luck!
Thanks, when should I start worrying? Lol, today makes day 4 (I think), still...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store