Male Festae behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H8Parrotfish 13

I kill Parrotfish for your own good
Okay here it goes...

Every morning I go to work I look at my tank. It's about six so there "sleeping". Well, Mr Festae is one real Red Terror(I made a funny). They all seem normal the pike and the 2 Festae's. But, he will get pissed off very fast and chase the female at crazy speeds bumping and hurting himself in the process. I notice that his eyes have like this "haunting" gold ring or glare around his eyes. And his stripes are shown in full but his body is dark. I also notice that the female will turn bright yellow with dark bars and sway her tail back and forth to make him recognize her.

So, is any of this making sense if so please reply.

Jose loves you all(Some)jkn all of you!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
There are a few people here who have Festae. I don't though.

However, the way you described how the female swayed her tail, sounded like breeding behavior. I could be wrong.

If no one answered you still, I can direct you to another forum to get answer.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yea it seems to me also that they may be trying to breed, at least he is. ive never owned a festae but the signs you agave sound like breeding signs, intense colors male chasing female. the color changes are the biggest giveaway becasue when fish tend to breed their colors will change slightly to a more intense color.

jw, what size tank you got them in? and how big are the fishies?

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i'd love one but i dont have tank space. theres a 5" at my lfs for $19. dont know if its male or female.

how aggressive are they? what can they hang with? the only place that might have space [in my house ] would maybe be with a vieja cichlid. might be a little too rough depending on the size disadvantage.

H8Parrotfish 13

I kill Parrotfish for your own good
how aggressive are they? what can they hang with? the only place that might have space [in my house ] would maybe be with a vieja cichlid. might be a little too rough depending on the size disadvantage.
Well, the male beat up my female pretty bad, tore up her Caudal Pendacle and Upper fins, broke her Top Fin, but I melafixed it and she has fully recovered.

At the place I bought it at they had it stocked and it was easier to find the females. Males are a darker clay colored brown with red finnage and blue specles on it's fins. Females (well mine anyway) has sharp yellow coloration with red finnage(Way different from male) and sometimes when she's "calm" her stripes go from black to a light greyish green. And the red is alot lighter in color, a light red. The male I bought at a local LFS, the tank was stocked with Synspillus, and Jewels. The female was bought from cichlidexchange and she's a decent one. She's wild caught ut hasn't really show much color. She was with of course Festae and Acarythyis Hecklyii(I hope I'm spelling it right.)

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store