Man Finds -- and Kills -- 100-Year-Old Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
we have open seasons for sturgeon here. the min size is 38" with a max size 54"
it does vary a bit depending on location on the Columbia.

btw, we have white sturgeon here and the white sturgeon can get as large as 20' weighing in at a whopping 2000#'s

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Another great example of an inbred wisconsinite! How could you kill something like that? Why the hell is it legal to kill something that big? The should have a slot limit to protect the old girls.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Wow that makes me angry...
"The sturgeon population is just recovering" and this bonehead decides to throw a spear at one

No room for catch and release there -_-

Sturgeon are like dinosaurs...they're like the biggest prehistoric fish in freshwater

Sad what some people do for kicks these days...

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I agree, they should make size maximums as well, huge old sturgeon like that are too vital to restoring the population since they lay so many eggs. Nothing wrong with fishing, its just that fish like that lay way more eggs than your run-of-mill sturgeon.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I don't personally like hunting for pleasure, and think this is very sad, but it is possible that he did not see how big it was until after he had speared it and brought it up to the surface.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
why would you kill it...I dont understand...

Likestofish

AC Members
Feb 10, 2009
He is a icefisherman who spent 43 years of his life doing this. It was not for sport but food. It was done legally. Also it was from lake Winnebago which has a thriving population of sturgeon.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
He is a icefisherman who spent 43 years of his life doing this. It was not for sport but food. It was done legally. Also it was from lake Winnebago which has a thriving population of sturgeon.
...oh...so he ate it....

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Being an avid fisherman along with enjoying fish keeping this is a touchy topic for me . I have very few positive things to say about the WI D.N.R but the sturgeon issue is one thing that they are staying on top of and doing a very good job maintaining agood stock to ensure the species. They lowered the minimum size limit to aid in larger females chance of survival. In addition to that they set Quotas on the amount of juvenile females, adult females and adult males that can be harvested during each season. If any of those quotas come to 90% they season closes the next day, if 100% of any quota is met, the season closes that day. Also during their spawning season, the grounds that they spawn at are guarded 24-7 to prevent poachers from illegally taking any fish. This has all led to an increase in their population. Some seasons only last one day some go the full 10 days. They sold over 10,000 licenses this past year so only about 15% got a sturgeon.
I do not spear and have no desire to do so. I don't necessarily agree with the season and I don't agree with the walleye spearing during their spawning either. I have seen boats with 200+ female walleye in it and that is not done the traditional way either but with 1 million candlelight lights instead of torches as was done 200 years ago. But both are legal and must be done legally.
Fish and seafood are a source of food and as long as it is done without decimating a species, I don't see a problem with it. Maybe I feel this way because I enjoy fishing and live in Wisconsin, although I'm not inbred and don't come from Wisconsin. Responsibility is the key to harvesting and maintaining all species, in water and on land as well. I hope that this comment does not cause to much conflict, but I wanted to give my opinion and also supply some facts about thespearing and regulations for doing so.
P.S. I love to go every year to see these beautiful fish spawning, it is truly a breathtaking sight, and every year I root for the sturgeon to stay away from the sturgeon spearers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store