mantis shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shrimpguy

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
i just bought a little brownish red mantis for 20dallors and was thinking if it grows bigger would it change colors?
And by the way it is a 2inch mantis

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Nice man, get pics, I love these shrimps. It should change colors from my research on them, but i have never had the opportunity to have one. I hear they need there own tank, or they will terrorize everything. Could be wrong though.

Shrimpguy

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
cant post any pics cus my sister broke my cam,it will be cool if every one who owns a mantis post a pic in here tho.

KingConch

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
i agree with Nue from what ive read some will change color eventually depending on what kind of lights and decor you have in the tank

Edit: cam is there algae growing on your mantis ? :shocked:

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
yes, i got him from an lfs that kept him in an plastic box in under reef lighting, nothing to hide under. its going away tho

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
he like silversides, scallops, feeder shrimp, and any fishfood he can grab. theres always like 6 feeder shrimp in the tank, but i may stop that because of a risk of speading diseases. i normally give him a small piece of a fish or scallop ever other day.

Reefkid 07

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
North Carolina
I used to have one of these, dark red-brown. I forget what he was called but he had some sort of a "hammer" as his ultimate mantis superpower. I took him out of the reef because my LFS wanted him badly to keep as his personal pet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store