Marbled crayfish tail stuck in its old tail after molting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smertrios

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I have a marbled crayfish trying to get out of its old tail shell for an hour. Anyone know what if anything I can do to help it out? Just leave it alone and see if it gets its old tail piece off? I have grabbed onto the tail and it seems to be stuck on there pretty good but I cant do much because the crayfish is so soft.

Thought about trying to snip it off but its a pretty fine line between cutting the old shell and damaging the very soft shell directly underneath.

EDIT: I got 1 segment off the rest is pretty well stuck on =/

Last edited:

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I would just leave it alone. The only thing you can do is to increase the amount of calcium in your water and wait. The old shell sometimes stays adhered to the body of the new shell due to many factors. The moulting phase is the most stressful time for crayfish and the additional stress of you trying to help the crayfish by pulling off the old shell can be enough to kill the cray. Also, the shell is still adhered to the body of the cray and if you try to peel it off you may pull the cray apart. Unfortunately, many crays die durring the moult and there is not much that we can do for them.

Edit reason: Explain one way to increase calcium-is to add dissolved Tums (regular not flavored) into the water.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Is the entire molted shell stuck or just a piece of the tail? If it's not hindering the crayfish from moving around just leave it.

If the entire shell is stuck and preventing him from walking, he'll likely die anyway so I would try cutting it off the excess, just not too close to the body.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
That is good that it s still alive. How is it doing otherwise, any problems with it eating? Anyway to get a photo?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store