Marineland 5g Hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I picked up a 5 gallon Hex from work for $40 for my grandparents. My grandpa loves watching fish swim and my grandma doesn't seem to mind them. What could I can I put into the tank besides a Betta? It's going to be put somewhere it's quite room mostly, low 70s during winter, mid/high 70s spring/summer/fall.

Any ideas?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I remember a similar thread! Your GM now knows how to take care of a tank on her own?

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Dwarf Puffers? Those are a little more difficult to care for though. Maybe a few male guppies? A cherry barb or a pair of them, or even a few of a TINY species of tetra. Just what I have heard of and what my brothers keep.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Dwarf Puffers? Those are a little more difficult to care for though. Maybe a few male guppies? A cherry barb or a pair of them, or even a few of a TINY species of tetra. Just what I have heard of and what my brothers keep.
Dwarf puffer are fairly easy to keep. Just need clean water and routine maintainance just like any other fish. Their teeth dont continuously grow likely other puffer so you dont need to worry about keeping them trimmed. They do like a meatier diet so snails, frozen food like brine shrimp, and other things alobg this line are very good. Always best to have a variety though.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I could see about Figure 8 puffers. Snails are easy to get a hold of for me, since the tanks at work are over run with them. I have both brine and blood worms in the freezer. It's been awhile since where I work at had Figure 8s and they are so cute. But how many for a 5g? I'll be putting in cycled gravel into the tank from my other tanks, gravel is still wet. so it'll cycle quickly. Also 2 weekly WC a week.

Guppies need more space then a 5g, cherry barbs also need lots of space since they are a schooling fish. Tetras are also not ideal either nor are goldfish.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
a F8 puffer will need more space than a 5g tank.

why not some sort of shrimp, or micro-rasbora? maybe a group of pygmy corys?

It's really going to depend on what stock you have access to, and possibly what food too.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I could see about Figure 8 puffers. Snails are easy to get a hold of for me, since the tanks at work are over run with them. I have both brine and blood worms in the freezer. It's been awhile since where I work at had Figure 8s and they are so cute. But how many for a 5g? I'll be putting in cycled gravel into the tank from my other tanks, gravel is still wet. so it'll cycle quickly. Also 2 weekly WC a week.

Guppies need more space then a 5g, cherry barbs also need lots of space since they are a schooling fish. Tetras are also not ideal either nor are goldfish.
F8 puffers are brackish water. Youll need a Dwarf puffer. Other common names are Dwarf pea puffer, pea puffer, and indian pea puffer. These stay really small at a max of about 1". In a 5g you could do only one. If you have good filteration you may be able to get a trio otocinclus as well or a trio of pygmy cories just to liven it up a bit more.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store