Maroon Clown and Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Is the nem a Haition or Condy because if so I wouldnt count on a clown hosting, Maroons tend to dive right into BTA's. When you have low lighting for nems you can help keep them going by feeding them every 2 days or so but should really have more intense lighting like HO T-5's with individual reflectors or MH's.

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
according to the LFS it is a pink tip haition. I have been looking into the LED lights

Current USA PowerBrite LED Lighting System, 4x1W 10000K

But not sure which ones would be best. MH would be to hot under my hood on the tank, and the wife will not allow me to hang them over it, so compromise.... :)

Any suggestions on LED's?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
It looks like you have a 75 gallon, if you have a canopy you could use T-5 retros. I would consider 4 bulbs on an IC 660 and 2 on a WH 5 and individual reflectors on all 6 bulbs, with this set up and good qaulity bulbs you could keep most anything you want. The chances of clowns hosting a Condy or Haition are almost none. Your clown will go where ever your nem goes if you get one that it will host in and my opinion would be a BTA. Maroons tend to be mean to start with and I dont think they will get any worse with a nem but they will defend it from other fish and you but shouldnt inflict any damage. I would try to take back the condy if you get a BTA because there can be chemical war fare between the 2 and its not recomended to keep different species of nems together. JMO. Oh and those LED's wont do anything for you as far as keeping higher light corals or nems

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
So what is the difference between the t5 retor kits and the two 36" dual tube T5 fixtures with the 10k and colormax bulbs and one 48" dual tube T5 with actinic and colormax bulb? If I put the 48" 10K bulb in instead of the colormax would that be better?

As copied from Oceanic website"
Aqualight T5 Series - Double Linear Strip

Ideal for Marine Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums

Aqualight T5 Series - Double Linear Strip is a sleek and streamlined fixture designed to enhance and complement aquariums. Its compact and low-profile style is suitable where space is limited. The 10,000K Daylight T5 fluorescent lamp emits a high-intensity lumen-per-watt output that simulates the midday tropical sun and the True Actinic 03 Blue fluorescent lamp provides a blue light in the 420 nanometer range that stimulates many pigments in organisms such as corals, fish and invertebrates, causing them to fluoresce in beautiful glowing colors.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
First you would need individual reflectors (1 reflector per bulb), with a retro you could use the IC 660 ballast and then good quality bulbs and they would be driven to be comparable to MH's. The IC 660 OD's the bulbs to about 90 watts I believe, you should also make sure you use high qaulity bulbs because most fixtures use a lower quality bulb to help keep priceing down.

witmerboarder

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
NE Indiana
yes they are the coral life fixtures and bulbs i described above.
There are 2of these

Aqualight T-5 Series Lamp - 36in 42W Double Linear Strip

21 watt 10,000K daylight and 21 watt ColorMax full-spectrum

And one of these

48" Aqualight T-5 Series - Double Linear Strip

28 watt ColorMax full-spectrum and 28 watt true actinic 03 blue T-5 fluorescent lamps

I also have the 28 watt 10,000K 28 watt bulb in 48" but took it out and put the actinic one in. should i have taken the colorMax out instead?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
You really need to upgrade your lighting for corals and nems because the NO T-5's are under powered for keeping anything except maybe shrooms.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Hello! I have a Maroon clown that hosts a RBTA..as soon as I put in the water the Maroon was all over it..my anemone has grown huge but has not split..I originally had it in a 40g breeder with a Current Nova Extreme fixture..they are relativley cheap in price but are great fixtures IMO althe they have come out with the Nova extreme pro which is supposed to be better because of individual "like" reflectors i say "like" because it is one reflector bent into a stop sign shape around the bulbs..I used to feed my anemone shalf a silverside 3 X a week and have cut back to once a week as it has grown massive lol I also had a Condi like yours in the tank first with the Maroon but he did not go near it, then the RBTA moved onto the same rock as the condi and wel...we know who one the claim to the rock..the condi did not survive...anemones can be complicated specially if ya get one that moves alot..luckily mine has been on the same rock since the beginning here is a pic

PM me if ya want to :D also I started feeding a cube of Prime Reef instaed of the silversides and it loves them, the Maroon helps guide the cube to the anemones mouth

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store