Mbuna Observations and thoughts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
OK, good to know. So maybe 2x a day isn't so bad then. As a matter of fact, maybe I'll go give them a treat in a few minutes!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
all looks well - full tank shot pls - the labs, rusties and fuelleborni will graze on the rocks more so than other mbuna as I believe their diet in the wild consists of more aufwuchs and micro crustaceans than e.g pseudotropheus genus if I remember correctly. You'll notice they have quite differently adapted mouths to your other fish.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Hey Coler, I do like the mouths on the Fuelleborni's, kind of the Mbuna with an overbite! The are real neat to watch the way they slide along the rocks. As requested, here is a FTS. But much to my surprise, as I was taking the pictures, and video that I will link to on YouTube, it looks like one of my Rusties is holding already! I have a pic or two of that too, what do you think?

IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0622.JPG IMG_0631.JPG

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Thanks, ib. Hard to believe since they've only been in the tank 3 weeks tomorrow. I guess everything is right enough for them to be "in the mood"! Although I know it doesn't take much for them to get that way! It's been a good day all around, found the Rusty holding, and got my 2 Ad Konings books in the mail today, Back to Nature Guide-Malawi, and Malawi Cichlids in Their Natural Habitat, 4th edition:headbang2:! I'll start a new thread as soon as my video uploads.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Great looking tank - I agree that young rusty is doing the walk of shame (well y'know just moved into a new place and already getting it on with the boy next door and what not).

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
:D

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
I agree with everything you have observed. Being a new mumba owner myself I see this happen all the time. my Labs are growing quickly, and well are sooo pretty! I know who the male is finally. THey do like to "chase" one another around and around the tank, like little indy racers. So about twice i day I see my acei and labs all chase one another in a constant loop around the tank for oh a good few minutes, then they all stop and go back to their respected territories.

Looks like everything is going well though!

Mike

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Thanks thunder, I have to say the Mbuna are some really interesting fish to watch!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store