medication and carbon question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
That is just the way i have always done it i guess, i only use hardy fish like platy and i have yet to have one die on me. I just figured if i do daily water changes to make up for the few fish in there it and test it 1-2x a day. I know i should have waited but i have my whole other tank used up well actually two, one has fry in it and the other has a male betta in it who cant get along with anyone so he gets my other biggerish tank to himself with just a clown pleco in it, i had many of them in there but i had to move them to the uncycled tank cuz the betta would beat them up all the time and im not just gonna throw him in a small cup. The only thing that is worrying me is the high levels of no2 nitrite but my ammonia is under .25 and i just checked the no3 the nitrates and they are up around 10 or 15 so doesnt that mean its getting close to being cycled? When i did start that tank i changed the filter in my smalled tank and put the dirty filter in my uncycled tank cuz it has two slots figureing it would jump start it faster.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Continue to rinse out the filters (that are on the cycled tanks) in the uncycled tank. Just slosh and squeeze them right in the tank itself. Don't worry about the dirt, etc.

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
i have not done that in a week cuz i noticed that i think there are nematodes in my cycled tank. I read they are harmless and common in tanks but i wasnt sure if they would spread to my other tank. They are little tiny things on my glass that are white. Im pretty sure they arent the ones that start with a P and eat fish eggs. I figured my betta and clown pleco would eat them! maybe the pleco is but i rarely see him! Should i be worried in any way at all?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
As you said, the majority of nematodes are harmless. Their presence is usually indicative of excess detritus/mulm and/or polluted water with poor redox. They will disappear unless the conditions are right for them. Do not confuse them with planaria which are similar and can often be found colonizing the aquarium glass (especially at night).

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
these ones are out all day, not just at night. I think they came from the blood worms i was conditioning my bettas with. I dont ever see excess food cuz my betta is a pig and eats everything but im not sure if its from the quarter of a algae tab i leave for the clown pleco every other day. I just tested the water a hour ago and its am 0 no2 0 and no3 15-20. Id love to do a water change cuz its been a couple days but i dont want to mess up his bubble nest cuz hes so proud of it! If they have not bred by tomorrow i will change it. Im basicly just testing if they would pair up or not. Is bad water and excess food the only thing that can cause that or is there other ways?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store