Might be getting a larger tank, what to do with my current stock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
So there is a slight possibility that I may be getting a 150G tank soon. Whilst I do not yet have the tank, and am not even certain I am getting it, I am already wondering what to do about stocking it. I currently have the following:

55G
2 x Angels (m/f pair, but not so great at the spawning)
1 x female GBR
12 x Black Neon
13 x Peppered Cory
1 x Rubberlip Pleco
1 x L279 (Dwarf BN pleco)
8 x Oto’s (maybe more, maybe less, its hard to see them all).

29G
10 x Neons
3 x L279 (2f/1m)

I don’t know that I can afford to run 3 tanks, so am thinking of combining the stock from both of the tanks above into the 150G. But I also am tempted by something like an Oscar, which would mean having to keep all 3 tanks running. I also would like to try Discus, but again, it would probably mean keeping all 3 tanks running.

Or I combine both tanks above, and double the numbers of neons and black neons, and maybe see if I can get a male GBR. Or I combine the 2 tanks and call it a day. I don’t think I can mix discus with the peppered corys or plecos. So what would you do?

Thanks.

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
If you move the stock you already have to the larger tank they will be much happier and will behave even more naturally. One hint, move them all into the new tank at the same time. Use the substrate in the 2 existing tanks to get the biofilter running quickly. I would avoid the oscar. It limits your possibilities.

OTOH, why would you think that the 2 empty tanks would remain out of use for very long. They will eventually become spawning/fry raising tanks at least. It's a part of this hobby that crosses into a disease area and many of us "suffer" from it.

Charlie

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
im not 100% but i read somewhere large angels will eat small fish ie neons just a heads up.
Luckily my angels, despite being large, have never bothered any of my tetras or otos. About the only time they bother any other fish is when they are cleaning an area for spawning (which they then forget to do, and go back to chasing each other).

Charlie Greiner said:
If you move the stock you already have to the larger tank they will be much happier and will behave even more naturally. One hint, move them all into the new tank at the same time. Use the substrate in the 2 existing tanks to get the biofilter running quickly. I would avoid the oscar. It limits your possibilities.

OTOH, why would you think that the 2 empty tanks would remain out of use for very long. They will eventually become spawning/fry raising tanks at least. It's a part of this hobby that crosses into a disease area and many of us "suffer" from it.
I think ultimately I will move them all to the larger tank, thankfully the filter I have running on my 55G is large enough for a 150G (although I will add a second filter) so getting the biofilter running should not be a problem at all. I agree with you on the oscar, despite me wanting to try a large fish.

I would probably just keep either the 29G or 55G tank, but sell off the other one (most likely to fund the extra filter for the 150G) and then use the spare as fry/quarantine.

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
think the larger tank with everything in it would be awesome,, so many fish so many things going on ,,,, watch it for hours and hours... if you scape it right, and get some tal plants grown,, you could really do alot..
Im a fan of alot of smaller fish in the tank,,with snails shrimp,, etc etc,,

down the road you could do discus in the 55

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Discus can't be done in a 55g. It's borderline in a 75g, which I why I didn't go for 'em.

I would keep the 55g and 150g for sure, moving current stock into the 150g but keeping the regular neons in the 55g (I'd be too concerned that the angels would eventually realize they are indeed food). I would probably have something else in there with them, but there are so many options, I'm not sure what I'd choose. I'd keep the 29g as a spare (you never know, as I learned last week with a tank leak!).

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
If this goes through and you decide to get rid of the 29 let me know, we can just meet somewhere for pickup.
Will do, it's an Eclipse 29G so has hood, lights, filter etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store