Mini-puffers! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zebs

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Hi! I'm planning on starting a mini puffer tank, and was wondering about tank mates. If there are any. So far bumblebee Gobys, and shrimp are all I've heard. Any others? What breed of shrimp? Also, can a I get the snails to live and breed in the tank? Thanks.

Biotoper

AC Members
Dec 18, 2004
My wife's obsessed with dwarf puffers, so I've started researching getting her a tank. I have not heard of bumblee gobies as being good specifically with dwarf puffers - they are brackish and thus prefer the same water quality as most puffers...

The nice thing about dwarf puffers, in addition to their small size and thus small tank requirements, is that they can live fine in freshwater as opposed to most other puffers. In general, they are best in a species tank. I have heard of people keeping oto cats with them - in a heavily planted tank they may be able to avoid the puffers and keep your tank clean. The brackish fish that are suggested can go with puffers, like monos and scats, are big and will probably eat a dwarf. MTS snails might survive with the dwarfs. I'd be interested in hearing what shrimp species is best - I like the idea of cherry reds so easily breeding and was going to get some for my community tank.

For stocking density, I'd probably go conservative on the 1"/gal rule and for example have max 5 puffers in a 10 gal. The more plants/driftwood/rock structures, the better.

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
Read the inch per gallon in the articles (not the post here, the article)

Puffers are very mean and will kill fish larger than them. they eat snails and I think your little gobies would be little more than a snack. I would make it a species only tank, or make sure the other fish are large/agressive enough to fend for themselves.
mabey a large bamboo shrimp, but i'd think ghost/cherry shrimp would be too small. They do need a hard food such as shrimp or snails as thier beaks grow constantly like a rodents teeth, but I don't think you could breed those things in the same tank with much success.

HistoryGirl

Puffer Lover!
Jan 18, 2005
On what can be kept with dwarf puffers. Interestingly enough, I have a green spotted puffer and have kept with him, successfully, a 4-striped damsel, yellow-tailed damsel, percula clown, and cardinalfish. (Though I would stay away from longer-finned fish) I know that damsels are aggressive...Maybe that's why the puffer leaves them alone. The puffer did nip off the fin of my fire-fish, however. I have also kept some turbo snails and smaller bumblebee snails quite successfully. I would say it depends on the tank size and the puffer! Maybe I have a nice one???

HistoryGirl

Puffer Lover!
Jan 18, 2005
Also- another quick note. If I were you I would keep the puffers in salt water. I've heard its better for them overall...And really keeps them in great color. Additionally, go to the fish store you are planning on purchasing them from and see what the puffers' tank mates are. If its another species you are looking to combine with the puffer, what they have lived with before has a better chance of surviving. That's what I did with mine, and seems to have some validity.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
historygirl, are dwarf puffers not a frash water only puffer?? If you can keep them in a salt tank they arent true dwarf puffers!A true dwarf puffer will die in salt water!

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
There are species of puffers that are freshwater, some are brackish and some are salt water. Some move between the various levels ofsalinity during their life. A Dwarf Puffer (stays about 1.5 inches long) is a freshwater puffer and will die in salt water, probably slowly.

The dwarf puffers will need live food, especially at the beginning. When they are older they may take frozen food. Snails are rthe best in the beginning, pond or common rams horn. Breed them in a separate tank as the puffers will consume all they can in the main tank, and breed a lot. I would start to breed snails long before you get any puffers.

Keep maybe 3-4 in a 10 gallon tank. And they are best as a species only tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store