mini saltwater aquariums 10 gal or less

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

99RedSi

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Originally posted by rift-n-reef
I had a 10g nano set up for about 2 1/2 years, and to date, it has been one of my most satisfying tanks, however you do have to stay right on top of it. I changed a gallon of water every other day, which when you think about it, is pretty easy maint. compared to some of my other tanks...:D I used a retro kit for the light sold on www.ahsupply.com. The fish were kept to a min. Just two percula clowns, and a watchman gobie along with a couple cleaner shrimp, and some hermits. About 15lbs of LR and a bunch of mushrooms and button poylops. I tried to avoid sensative corals do the size of the tank, one little slip, and they would of suffered greatly. At any rate, the point I'm getting at is a nano can be done, and work very well, but there are limitations. As for the picture you saw on the box.....well, lets just say I'd like to smack the person responsible...
:mad:

Side note(in case you were wondering) I no longer have my nano because after 2 1/2 years, one day I awoke to a carpet of green hair algea in the tank, and after battaling it for about 3 months, I threw in the towel, and figured the residents were better off moving out.

"J"
Green algae just "appeared" ? Did you check your nitrate level, etc?

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
The 2x36w kit from ahsupply is great lighting for a 10g. No complaints with mine.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
I'm actually waiting to recieve a new part for my digi cam which will (hopefully) get it working again. I'll get up some pics once I take them.

It's good lighting, but I don't know if it's "Holy Cow" worthy :) There's still plenty of stuff I wouldn't try keeping under it. Right now, that tank's home to a slew of softies, shrooms, zoos, LPS, a few of the lower-light SPS species, and a squamosa clam. It's a great little display, I've had a lot of fun with it.

I used the 2x13 bright kit on mine. Keeping in mind, I was not keeping any thing real special. But even a tank of the right mushrooms, and polyops can look super...:) And as for the hair algea, I may of exagerated a bit when I said "overnight"....hehe, I accidentally imported a bit with some culerpa I added to the tank, and well, it took over in just a couple months. Rather than fighting it daily, I just chose to take it down, and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

"J"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store