Mixing Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
Luca Brazzi: I don’t see a problem with mixing SA and Africans... its all about the sizes, and temperments.
I think you could safely put a Male Chipokae, and a Male Dempsey of equal size into the same tank...

I'm still wondering why would you mix cichlids which prefers pH 7 and gH 6 with cichlids who prefers pH 8.3 and gH 14.
Would they recognize the warning signals from each other?
How about their feeding habits, the overall tank setup like decoration?
Sometimes it seems that shape and color are the primary (if not only) concern.
No matter what size tank you’re keeping them in, one of them is not feeling happy in there.
Even both won’t feel happy when you go for the average values.
Mixing these cichlids has IMO nothing to do with keeping cichlids.

Jimmy

Last edited:

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
I'm still wondering why would you mix cichlids which prefers pH 7 and gH 6 with cichlids who prefers pH 8.3 and gH 14.
Its simple... because you like/want both fish.

Why would you take a fish that would be better off in the wild... and keep it captive in living room? Easy... because you feel like it.

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
The first choice you make, limits the second.
That's all what "keeping cichlids" is about.

Don’t get me wrong, mix any cichlid or fish you like in your tank.
At least you would know what to look for, if something goes wrong.

Jimmy

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
Originally posted by Jinks
they fight ab it.. but generally they are fine..

I told him to throw in a bumblee for some real fun ;)
To me this says as much as I need to know about what you want to get out of keeping fish, you might as well be breeding pit bulls to fight :rolleyes:

chevyII

AC Members
Jun 10, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
Just a little update. A year later my Jacks and Africans are still thriving together :) MY Jd's just laid Eggs and my Auratus Is holding as well. Granted they were upgraded to a 135 gallon tank from the 29gallon.

no offense but I would bet my next years salary that tank wont last another 6 months. Im just stating my opinion, I would take 3 of those jacks back. 55-65 gallon tank is only sufficient enough for a single jack and maybe a pleco. that 29 gallon is entirely too small for those 6 fish. That is utter insanity 6 months from now. I promise

You owe me your whole years salary. They lasted in that tank telll April :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store