mmmmm... I think I've got Ick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Well Dan's doing his best, he spent over an hour at the store talking to people and researching. It seems harsh but I'd rather lose a few snails and have him interested in my hobby than save all the creatures and have him not give two shakes. If I could have everyone survive this that would be fantastic. But his intentions were good.....maybe thats kinda twisted on my part i dunno.
That's really awesome that he's taking an interested! Warning: I see a few more tanks in your future ;)

Like others have said, the cloudy eye could be a sign of poor water quality so I would check params when available, especially pH.

Any progress on the ich? I just had a break through with my platy fry. They no longer looked like sugar-coated and just have a few spots. I started dosing Seachem Paraguard a few days ago and it seems to have made a huge difference!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Looking closer at the SD it almost looks like there is an Ich spot on their eyeball, it looks like a pimple on the eyeball, thats the part that is popped out.

pH : 7
NH3/NH4+ : .5 ( mine is always high, I've never managed to get it below this level. )
NO2- : super high, very dark purple 2.0
NO3- : 5.0

I did a large water change last night and dosed with Prime, I should probably do another one.

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Hmm, definitely a water quality issue (as you seem to already be aware).

I would do the 5x dose as recommended on the bottle for emergency detox. Did you make any changes that could've caused this mini-cycle?

Also - grab a gallon of tap water, dose with the normal amount of prime, and test the water.. There should be no reason that you can't get ammonia down in a tank that's been going for as long as this one has.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
The only thing I can think of is the filter intake was clogged for a while before i noticed it , it was still coming out the out take but the water flow over the biowheels had pretty much stopped. thats all i can think of

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Were the biowheels dry when you found it? That could be a huge hit to your bacteria colony..

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
The bottoms remained wet from the water that had filled the bottom of the canister but the visible parts had dried out.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
First death :(
RIP Lucky the Silver Dollar....

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Aw Ballyhoo I'm sorry for your loss! Some fish are a lot more sensitive to diseases..

May he/she RIP.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
After losing all the silver dollars my tanks are officially Ich free.

The severum and Blood Parrot have survived thus far, still need some nursing back to health but they survived.

Thanks for everyones help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store