Modifying an Odyssea CFS-500 canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taffer

AC Members
Oct 16, 2010
The filter is definitely worth $60, considering the volume and flow rate. However, it's MUCH smaller than the FX5.

Modding it for circumference should NOT be a problem. I'd just open up the sides by either cutting the sponge or simply jamming something down the side that pushes the sponge in and lets the water flow down.

Here are some other thoughts on that filter:
The hoses are stupid large in diameter...way past the sweet spot of where the increase gets you better flow. This makes them cumbersome to work with. The hose connections use O rings for seals, which adds difficulty/tedium to the connecting process. The cannister adapters are difficult to remove/attach. The top has to be tightened pretty good so it doesn't leak. The valves are great. The hose clamps suck and should probably be replaced by metal ring clamps. The flow is awesome...super powerful pump.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Since I will soon have the filter in my hands I wont speculate any further but will comment on what your saying as soon as I have taken a hard look and run a food coloring test. I may even use substitute sponges so I can experiment on just the right cut. I can tell you that I have high hopes especially that it is a bottom motor design.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well CFS arrived today and I spent about an hour examining that design, parts, and components that make up this bottom motor canister. Im going to wait until I post my own review thread which will include simple modifications to the sponges to make this filter much more effective use of both top and bottom sponge. I will also create new basket inserts out of plastic canvas which will eliminate the need for sponges and create approx 200 square inches of filter surface area around the circumference of the inside canister where blue/white bonded filter padding will be used taking advantage of the canisters full length surface area and lost section beneath the motor, and provide inside basket room for rings or carbon. I spent allot of time lubricating all the O-rings and the orange valves which work great once they are lubricated properly and broke in properly. The hose clamps also work find when they are clamped and sized below the collar choke point first, and then slipped up and wedged into position. Ill have all the deatils including a 5 foot head-pressure stop-watch 5 gallon GPH test. With all details, photos, and final assessment in a new thread. So far the filter looks very impressive and if it meets my expectations will be nicknaming it the FX5 Mini-me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store