Molly laying on bottom of tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Questions: Does the molly swim strangely? In particular, with its head up and the rest of its body hanging down at an angle? Does he swim with a sort of motion like he's paralized, sort of throwing his rear body from side to side rather than flipping his tail? Also, when you look at it from above, does it appear to be extremely thin behind the head?

I don't know if this disorder has an official name but I call it Molly Wasting Disease. I've had several come down with it and only managed to save one. The only things I can suggest are, first, if you can find antiparasite or anti-worm medication, try that. If not or in addition, try to up the salt in the QT tank beyond what you already have it. And feed-- heavily --since it's by itself and there aren't other fish in the tank to steal the food. Feed the same amount at a time you normally would but oftener. Five or six times a day are not too many.

Rotate foods if you have multiple sorts: flake, then bloodworms, then brine shrimp then flake again, etc. (those just happen to be what I have at the moment). Blanched soft vegetables are good too and you can use leftovers from dinner with any sauce washed off.

The ones I lost to this disorder, sorry to say, came down with it shortly after being brought home from the lfs. The one I saved I think got worn out from excessive breeding. She's still alive but has never regained a lot of vigor. I traded off my other mollies recently but kept her; I figure after what she's been through she's allowed to have a dignified retirement any way she likes. :)

Good luck to you and your nephew with your fish. Sorry not to have better news but I hope things turn out well.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
0-0-0 would present an issue, as unless there is a heavy plant stock, it would be indicative of a lack of denitrifying bacteria.
Oops... I'll just pull my foot out of my mouth and stand over here so the real experts can help. Sorry.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
0-0-0 would present an issue, as unless there is a heavy plant stock, it would be indicative of a lack of denitrifying bacteria.
But it would also indicate no ammonia source, no fish. If there are fish in a tank that's 0-0-0, then either it's only just been set up, or there are sufficient plants to use up the nitrate produced.

Usual issue with mollies IME is water which is too soft.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store