More Filter Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
So I've decided to sell my canister filter for my 75g FOWLR setup. I have 2 maxijet 1200's, worth a combined 590gph. Assuming I will be getting a skimmer, will I also need a H.O.T filter for carbon and such, or will a skimmer be enough along with my powerheads? I can get a H.O.T. filter rated at 310gph for about $30, plus a cpr bakpak for another $90. But do I need the filter?

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
If you have a DSB and a skimmer, then there isn't much need for a power filter. I only run carbon occasionally (one a month or so) and the only reason for that is because I still have a HOT filter that I cannot bring myself to throw away.

You still have good water turnover without the filter, so I would say follow your gut. If you want to drop $30 on something that you might need, then go ahead. However, the CPR Bak Pak is an excellent skimmer, and should do a fine job at keeping your water scuzz free.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would keep the canister, just remove the media for normal use. Then, if you need to run any chemical filtration, you already have the canister in the system. This is how my setup runs.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
The only problem I will have with a canister is that it will be setup under my tank in a cabinet, and I will have to drill holes in the cabinet to accomidate. I don't want to do that. Also, the canister was $100 and if I sell it I can get a skimmer for the same amount, so I really am choosing between a skimmer and a canister that will do no more than move water and occasionally hold carbon if needed. I think the skimmer is the way to go. I might keep my eyes open for cheap hot filter at my lfs, or even a walmart cheapo, just for activated carbon usage.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
No experience with Jebo products. Although, with a 280 gph powerhead moving water for you, it does sound like it could handle a decent sized tank.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Thanks for the advise Kreblak, I just bought the Jebo skimmer,i'll let everyone know how it works (not that I know how a skimmer it supposed to work??? The more brown foam the better?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store