More Plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaniving2008

AC Members
Dec 25, 2015
Current Setup

50Gal Fresh Water

60lb River Rock Shallow Creek

Marineland ML90614-00 LED

AquaClear 70 Power Filter (Carbon, Foam & BioMax)

Random shells & 1/2 Clam shell

1 plastic display

3 Rocks

Planted Live Stock

2 Java Ferns

3 Amazon Swords

1 Anubias Congensis

2 Anacharis

3 Comet Gold Fish

1 Placo

2 Long Finned Red Minor Tetra

2 Long Finned Black Skirt Tetra

2 rosy barbs

Id love to add more plants to my tank, maybe something with a tad more color aside from green. Id like something with red in it. Any suggestions? I definitely will be adding more amazon swords, as for my 2 Anacharis, they have little plants growing off the sides so i guess this is a good thing.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Red plants generally need more light, and Darker Green plants are lower light. What like of light do you have? What wattage?

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
As mentioned above, most red plants require high light, CO2, and fertilizers. They require a whole new level of care.

The plants you have now, swords, java ferns, anubias, anacharis are all good low tech low light plants. In fact, they may not like the high required for most red plants.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Not sure about that light. I have not used any LED lights for plants yet.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
bronze crypts are nice for their color addition in low tech situations, they appreciate root tabs tho. No clue on that light either, just getting back into the hobby and it seems LED are the new standard, time to start studying!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, there are "red" crypts (maroonish red wendtii & mi oya...& brown & bronze wendtii too) & "reddish" rotala rotundifolia (used to be called indica... or vice vs & couple more rotalas). Those are pretty available & a few others...1 or 2 of the ludwegias too. I have no idea on LEDs either.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Kaniving, ONE amazon sword is going to be too much for a 50g tank. I can show you some pics of one in my 55g. It takes over almost half the tank, and that's cut way back.

I recently picked up some crypts from Petsmart. One undulata that's labled "red" and one wendtii. Only reason I got'em were they were on sale, half price. ($4/bunch).

You've got some stocking issues going on too. You don't want to keep goldfish with tropicals, especially 3 of them. If the pleco is a common pleco, those will get a foot long or more in a ~55g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store