Mosquito Larvae for Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
I have the following goldfish:
4x black telescope moors
2x celestials
2x red-capped orandas
3x fantails
3x ranchus
1x ryunkin

I am considering capturing my own mosquito larvae and was just wondering how I could screen them for diseases to ensure they don't hurt my loved goldfish. Thanks:)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Where are you getting the mosquito larva? If you simply get a bucket of water and leave it in a dark place for a few days, the mosquito larva that may appear should be safe for consumption unless the body of water where you are getting them has fish in which case it is possible fish parasites can evidently appear otherwise the bucket method does not stringent measures any further at all. Please be sure to check the bucket daily or you risk getting your house infested with adult mosquitoes. Check your laws as well in case doing this thing is banned or not. Some states banned this practice.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you culture mosquitos in a bucket the safest way to avoid increasing the local population of bloodsuckers is to harvest the floating egg cases every day and hatch them in a controlled situation. The eggs look like a little black canoe that floats on the surface tension of the water. If you do this your culture will reduce the local population.

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
Cool guys. I was going to use the bucket method but just thought I would ask incase anyone had come up with a way to eliminate possible threats to the fish. Thanks guys!:)

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
They should be clean if you raise them yourself. Any container that has standing water will harbor larvae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store