Mosquito Larvae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
I would be reluctant to feed them to my fish, for the same reason I no longer feed bloodworms to my fish. To much risk of parasites. Lost too many fish this way.
WOW, your mosquito larvae must be much different from the ones around here. As the "wigglers" only live in water from 4 to 14 days, depending on water temperature, they sure don't have much time to pick up some sort of parasite.

I do check to be sure that my "wigglers" don't have any dragonfly larvae mixed in with them.

After feeding mosquito larvae for almost 50 years, I can't recall of a single lost fish because of them. They are one of my favorite live foods to get fish into spawning condition. I only wish they were available in this area year round LOL.

Dennis

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thanks Dennis. I do know what mosquito larvae look like, but I've no idea what dragon fly larvae look like, and why are they bad for the fish.
Now you've got me nervous.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
biondoa biondoa , they look like dragon flies without wings. They are not bad for the fish to eat if your fish are big enough. Smaller fish are unfortunately on the menu as dragon fly larvae food.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thank you Duckie. I will not give them to my cpds then. they are the smallest fish that I have. I think angels, rainbows and cardinals should be very happy feasting on all the larvae.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Thank you Duckie. I will not give them to my cpds then. they are the smallest fish that I have. I think angels, rainbows and cardinals should be very happy feasting on all the larvae.
I would still be careful with the dragon fly lavae. You mean rainbow rasboras and cardinal tetras? Don't believe they are big enough to really hunt down the dragon fly larvae. Think goldfish big - juveniles can be subject to be eaten while adults will return the favour.

Last edited:

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Now that Dennis has posted a picture of the dragon fly larvae, I will be very careful to remove any that may be there.
Thanks much.

Reactions: Duckie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store