Moss help/experiment!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Java moss not doing well emersed? Psssh, as long as you can keep somewhat high humidity you will be A-OK. The problem with some mosses that you can find in temperate climates is that some (such as non-tropical pillow moss) require a dormant period. If they are not given this, they will eventually die. Personally, I would buy a fat bunch of Java off the forums here and use that.

Riccia fluitans can also do great, but it requires even higher humidity, though running water is best. For instance, if you want a stream section place your riccia along the "stream" bank. If given enough light, it will eventually grow over the water/above the bank in one thick mass.

How big is your tank? I would shoot for 1.5-2watts per gallon for a 20gallon tank

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Some of the lower-growing Selaginella could work too; they're mossy-looking enough. Blackjungle.com has a good selection. There are several native species as well, but I haven't tried them in a vivarium.

Cowie

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
Hello
Ok I will start with the wild moss. In my experience to reduce the risk of bugs and other nasties getting into your tank it is best to first freeze the moss for about 1 week....then allow the moss to completely dry out for about 2 weeks (this should ensure that any threat of chytrid will be minimize). When it comes to testing what light conditions the mosses will grow under I find its just best to put them in the tank and let them do there own thing (this allows them to be in a stable enviroment after the shocks of freezing and drying out). Which ever mosses live can be allowed to grow out in the tank if you like the look of them (NOTE: alot of temperate moss species dont last very long in the high humidity enviroments of vivs, terrariums, and paludariums. and may take awhile to get established and start growing)

now for the aquatic mosses. I find that the only one that ruly works well is java moss. It looks nice and once it is given a week or to (maybe even a month) to settle in it takes right off and you will have your ground covered in the stuff in no time (provided you keep the humidity 85%+.....90-100 is best)

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
Wow David, that looks fantastic! I just got back from New Zealand and have fallen in love with moss all over again. I want to start a terrarium but lighting is my big concern.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Try this recipe.

Take a clump of healthy moss and crumble it into your blender.
Add 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water
Blend at the lowest speed until it is completely mixed and the consistency of a thin milk shake. (add water if necessary)

Paint the mixture onto rocks, pots or statuary, or simply pour it on the ground wherever you'd like your moss to grow!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store